cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Deleting desktop

Highlighted

How to unlink computer folder on Dropbox

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Dear Sir,

Recently, I have added one new deviced (a new laptop) using the same account with some 3 other devices (1 desktop, 1 laptop, 1 phone). Because the basic account is only allowed to connect with 3 devices so I removed the old laptop. However, since I added the new laptop, it keep connecting and syncing all of the files available in my new laptop with the 2 other devices and make my storage to be full that I cannot stop this processing. Those files are personal files and I only want to keep them in my laptop, not to share in dropbox. I have uninstall dropbox in my new laptop but I cannot find any way to unlink the new folder which is syncing all of files in my laptop to the dropbox account. What should I do to solve this situation? How can I unlink the folder without harming all of files availabke in my new laptop? I checked the shared status of the folder and it is lucky that it is the "only me" status, however, there is no "Unlinked"/"Delete" ... status to manage the folder!

It is terrible!

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: HOW TO UNLINK A SHARED FOLDER TO DROPBOX

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @phungduongmy1416, thanks for dropping by. 

It sounds like you're referring to computer backup, which adds your computer folders (like Documents, Desktop, and Downloads) to your Dropbox folder. 

If you don't want to continue using it, you can check out this article which has more info on it and steps on how to turn it off. 

Let me know if you have any trouble along the way or any other questions. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Deleting desktop

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

So i syncled my entire desktop files without realising, and now i have no space left! I don't need my desktop synced so i want to unsync it but don't know how - Dropbox help not being very helpful!! xxx 

Highlighted

Re: Deleting desktop

Super User II
Super User II

@kimmyraaa wrote:

I don't need my desktop synced so i want to unsync it but don't know how

Disable the computer backup feature in Dropbox Preferences.

Highlighted

Sync

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hey so i synced my dropbox with my mac and now my dropbox is p[ast its storage state it is also messing up the storage on my mac. I tried to unsync the two multiple times but it doesnt work

Highlighted

Re: Sync

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

also whenever i drag files to delete off of dropbox it says its still backing up my mac 

and it cant

Highlighted

Re: How can I unlink a shared folder on Dropbox

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @benatchison!

If you haven't already, I'd suggest checking out the steps at the bottom of this article when you have the chance to disable the computer backup.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?