cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to upload photos to a folder with the same name from a Mac, without overwriting each other?

How to upload photos to a folder with the same name from a Mac, without overwriting each other?

Explorer | Level 3

So I'm in the process of uploading all of my photos from my Mac's photos to Dropbox. I have the Dropbox Mac app and am dragging photos into folders that match my Albums on on my Mac's Photos to upload them. My issue is that in some albums, some photos have the same names (because of when people have shared photos with me during trips etc, and their photos have the same exact names as some of mine but they are completely different photos). 

I read that when Dropbox has two files with the same name in the same folder they just delete the old one without warning you and giving you a chance to change the name? This seems like a pretty big design flaw. I now have no idea how to find photos with the same name and rename them before dropping into Dropbox. Some of these albums have thousands of photos and just dropping them into a folder on my Mac and scrolling through the list and hoping I catch them seems unlikely to catch everything/way too time consuming. Any ideas?

1 Reply 1

Re: How to upload photos to a folder with the same name from a Mac, without overwriting each other?

Dropboxer

Hi @kmeyer05, I hope you're well today!

From the method you mentioned using for uploading the files, Dropbox wouldn't overwrite one file with another.

I'm wondering if what you read may have been related to uploading a file with the same name, to a folder containing a file with that name already via the website.

Since you are moving the files into the local folder on your Mac, it would be down to your OS to give a prompt on whether you want to make a copy of the file, or append one with (1).

If you don't receive any notification like this when adding the file to the the local Dropbox folder, is it possible that the files may be different file types?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?