cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How will I know which dropbox account has the original file?

How will I know which dropbox account has the original file?

Explorer | Level 3

Hello, 

How to locate where a shared folder is originally created? How will I know which dropbox account has the original file? Thanks. 

3 Replies 3

Re: How will I know which dropbox account has the original file?

Dropboxer

Hi @BB Ville, thanks for posting today!

You can see who the current owner of the shared folder is by clicking the Share button next to the folder on the site, and seeing the members there. You'll be able to see the current owner of the folder.

However, you won't be able to see the original owner of the folder, if the ownership was transferred to someone else later.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Hi Jay, 

Thank you so much for this. That was easy!

My problem now is that the Owner of the folder is no longer connected to our company. I doubt if the email is still active. Can the ownership be transferred to our admin email?  I guess my only concern here is losing the data on that folder shared to us (which is highly important) just because it's connected to an account that is not upgraded. 

Can I email or call anyone from your team to assist me on this please? We are in Australia. 

Thanks in advance.

Dropboxer

Currently, we only provide incoming phone support for team admins of Dropbox Business subscriptions. You can see your support options by logging into your account and clicking this link.

Regarding the shared folder, it wouldn't be possible to transfer the ownership of the shared folder, as only the owner can make this change. Even our support team wouldn't be able to assist on this matter, since the owner technically owns the data in that shared folder.

If the email is a company-managed domain, then perhaps your IT team can recreate the email, reset the password for the Dropbox account, and then change the ownership from the site.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?