cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How will update/overwrite behave when a file is being updated by multiple devices?

How will update/overwrite behave when a file is being updated by multiple devices?

Explorer | Level 4

Hi:

According to guide, there are 3 options about write mode: add, overwrite and update. But I don't really understand the way every option will behave when there is a conflict.

Considering the situation that one file in dropbox is being updated by multiple devices. If write mode is add, will every update be added to the end of the file, or dropbox create some other file like file(1), file(2), and add every update to different file? And how will overwrite and update behave in this situation?

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

Re: How will update/overwrite behave when a file is being updated by multiple devices?

Dropboxer

Hello there @petal, I hope you're having a good day so far!

When a file is opened on multiple devices, or by multiple users, then a conflicted copy will be generated for each saved version.

You can check out some more info about this here.

Let me know if this helps clarify the matter!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: How will update/overwrite behave when a file is being updated by multiple devices?

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks, according to the link you give, I see a conflicting copy. 

So whether I set write mode to add, overwrite or update has no influence about this. The conficting copy will be created anyway, and I should handle these conficting file my self. is that correct? 

Dropboxer

That's right @petal, this will occur for any circumstance when the file is opened, and being edited on, multiple devices.

You would indeed need to manually check and merge the two versions of the files too, if the app you're using to edit the files doesn't have a feature to assist with this.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks, according to my understanding, this is how dropbox handle this case. If I want to integrate dropbox into my own app by, for example, Java SDK for API v2. Is there any other way to handle this case? It seems that manully  check and merge confilcting files a little inconvenient

Dropboxer

I would suggest maybe posting this question in the dedicated API section, @petal.

This way it can get the attention of someone more experienced in this area.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help with this, but please let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks anyway!

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?