cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge disparity between Dropbox files syncing (2.1GB) and visible files (360Mb).

Huge disparity between Dropbox files syncing (2.1GB) and visible files (360Mb).

New member | Level 2

Hi there,

I've recently come back to Dropbox after a few years away and am doing some housekeeping. I've got the Dropbox desktop app running and looking through my folders in Finder I have about 360Mb of photos. But the Dropbox app is trying to sync 2.1Gb of files.

Why is there such a huge disparity? I used to be a business user and that could easily have accounted for the 2.1Gb, but the account was handed over years ago and I have no access to any of these business files. I would just let the sync complete and see what turns up, but I'm away from home on an extended business trip so my WiFi is capped and I don't want to burn through my quota on a mystery sync that doesn't actually give me any files that I need or want.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

WCLA

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Huge disparity between Dropbox files syncing (2.1GB) and visible files (360Mb).

New member | Level 2

Hi Daphne,

This is a classic case of PEBKAC / PICNIC! There is an online file trying to sync down to my laptop, because it's a single file that recognised and thought was a few hundred Mb I thought there was a disparity / discrepancy. Turns out the file is huge! and accounts for almost all of the supposed discrepancy. As it happens I really want to keep the file so I'll let it sync down. Still not sure what / where the other files is, but I'll find out once the sync is complete I guess?

Thanks anyway!

WCLA

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Re: Huge disparity between Dropbox files syncing (2.1GB) and visible files (360Mb).

Dropboxer

Hey again @WCLA, I hope you're well!

Can you let me know if you perhaps have any files in the account already online? Perhaps the app is trying to sync files down locally to your computer.

To check this, you can have a look in your Files page online here.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Hi Daphne,

This is a classic case of PEBKAC / PICNIC! There is an online file trying to sync down to my laptop, because it's a single file that recognised and thought was a few hundred Mb I thought there was a disparity / discrepancy. Turns out the file is huge! and accounts for almost all of the supposed discrepancy. As it happens I really want to keep the file so I'll let it sync down. Still not sure what / where the other files is, but I'll find out once the sync is complete I guess?

Thanks anyway!

WCLA

View solution in original post

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @WCLA!

Well I'm glad to hear that you appear to have gotten to the bottom of this. If, after the sync is complete, you're still having issues with this, please let me know. 

Hope you have a great rest of your week!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?