cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge dropbox upload.

Huge dropbox upload.

AndersDK
Helpful | Level 5

Hi 🙂

I have around 8 TB of data which I would like to upload to the cloud. 

The data is not on my computer but on external harddrives. 

Is it possible for me to upload the files from the external harddrives to dropbox and if yes, then how? Could it be done using the desktop app?

Kind Regards

Anders

2 Replies 2

Re: Huge dropbox upload.

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @AndersDK,

Your question is too general, so a precise answer gets difficult to be set. First of all, you need appropriate account (able to store so much data). Does your account cover the capacity requirements? Next, since Dropbox is a sync service with a relatively conservative way of work, you have to take in mind that access point could be only on a single place (can't spread across mutiple volumes - partitions or drives). In this context you can't upload everything at once. You can use "Selective Sync" feature and upload the content step by step (folder by folder) and biggest step (content size) no more than available capacity of volume where Dropbox folder resides on.

Alternative could be instead moving content, Dropbox folder be moved and using the noted feature upload the content, drive by drive (could be expected easier - moving folders lower count). Don't forget to get Dropbox folder back to the initial place finally, otherwise data loss could be expected!

Probably many other ways could be described (or combinations of ways), but I hope the above gives the basic idea. The final solution will be of your choice, based on all details of your setup.

Good luck.

Re: Huge dropbox upload.

AndersDK
Helpful | Level 5

Hi 

Sorry for posting a too general question and thanks a lot for the clarifying reply. 🙂

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?