cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I NEED HELP

Explorer | Level 3

I NEED HELP

I used to have dropbox for a while, i only created a file there for my notes of college and it didnt mess with the rest of the documents in my laptop.  It was helpful because I could enter to JUST those notes when i was away from my computer

Recently,  however I had my laptop fixed and dropbox was erased. When i downloaded it again, it accidentally attached EVERY SINGLE FILE OF MY COMPUTER THERE!!! Including downloads and documents!!!  I dont want everything in dropbox! what do i do??? Now my dropbox has this "MY-PC"! Where every single one of the laptop documents is in.

I'm scared that if i delete them in dropbox, ill erase them from my laptop as well and I don't want that! I also don't know if i erase the app in my laptop, itd erase my documents in my laptop. 

I tried not doing synch for that MY-PC but a message says itd erase them from the laptop!!! I don't know what to do! I'd prefer desinstalling dropbox. If i desintall dropbox in my laptop (CONSIDERING ALL MY LAPTOP DOCUMENTS ARE THERE) will it erase them????

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: I NEED HELP

Dropboxer

Hi @lorena2020; thanks for joining our Community!

It seems like you enabled the computer backup feature upon re-installing the app on your computer.

Could you take a look at our dedicated Help Center article and let me know if the steps mentioned there helped improve matters for you?

Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

New member | Level 2

There is a feature built in to Dropbox called "selective sync". This should be able to alieviate your problems that you are experiencing. Take a few minutes and read over the help doc they have on it here: Selective Sync Overview. This page covers how to set it up. Once you've set up your sync with what you would like to have on Dropbox servers, you can then go to your account online and remove any items that you do not want to sync after that were uploaded originally. One way to set up a safe sandbox is to only move files you want on Dropbox into the specific Dropbox share folder on your computer. Go into the app settings and make sure you are only syncing those specific file. Hope this helps!

Dropboxer

Hi @lorena2020; thanks for joining our Community!

It seems like you enabled the computer backup feature upon re-installing the app on your computer.

Could you take a look at our dedicated Help Center article and let me know if the steps mentioned there helped improve matters for you?

Thanks! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Explorer | Level 3

But it says that if i desactivate that synch it will get erased from my computer!

i mean ALL my information is linked to dropbox 

isnt there a way to take my computer documents off??
if i erase desinstall the dropbox app in my laptop will it erase everything in my computer too?? it says that if i erase dropbox everyhing will erase! but my computer is linked to it and i dont want my stuff to disappear!!

Dropboxer

Hey @lorena2020!

Did you have the chance to check the article Walter linked above?

At the bottom of the article, it provides the steps to disable the computer backup that was enabled during the installation.

This will also allow you to remove the files from Dropbox correctly and keep them locally on your computer (in step 8, choose "Keep content in folders on this PC") without anything being deleted.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

yes, i think it worked. They all disappeared from dropbox but not from my computer thank you!

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?