cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I accidentally synced my PC to dropbox, and I want to delete it

Highlighted

I accidentally synced my PC to dropbox, and I want to delete it

New member | Level 2

Like the title says, I accidentally clicked sync on my PC, documents and downloads.

I only use my dropbox for work and I really do not want my personal files to be saved here. I tried to delete it, but it ended up deleting my actual files on my PC, not just on dropbox.

I have already clicked unsync, but that does not undo the damage. 

I refuse to pay for rewind when this should be an easily undoable option.

If I were to delete my entire account, will it affect my computer?

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: I accidentally synced my PC to dropbox, and I want to delete it

Dropboxer

Hello @Milqo, I'm sorry to hear about the situation!

I would really recommend to not delete your Dropbox account while we look into this further. If there's anything we can recover from Dropbox then deleting your account will prevent that from being restored.

To disable the backup on your computer, you can follow the steps outlined at the bottom of this article.

Once you've disabled the backup, you can move the files from the backup folder in Dropbox back to the original locations on your computer.

For the files that you deleted, if you haven't already I can suggest checking your computer's recycling/trash bin, and the steps outlined here to restore files through Dropbox if they were synced to your account previously.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?