Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I am missing files on my new computer and they're not in my deleted files page online. Any clues?

Helpful | Level 5

I have a new computer.  I logged into the Dropbox folder on my computer and now several years of files are gone.  They are not in the deleted section when logging into Dropbox online.  How do I get these back?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: I am missing files on my new computer and they're not in my deleted files page online. Any clues

Helpful | Level 5

I was able to resolve this by accessing my old computer.  For some reason, the missing files were never getting added to Dropbox and backing up.  That has been corrected.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: I am missing files on my new computer and they're not in my deleted files page online. Any clues

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @jmichael11 - thanks for posting!

Can you please clarify if you're not seeing those files on our website at all or if they just haven't showed up within your Dropbox folder locally on your computer yet?

Just to make sure we're on the same page, can you tell me the exact status of the desktop app as shown within your computer's system tray/menu bar?

By the way, do you happen to have another Dropbox account by any chance under another email address?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Walter,

I do have another account with another email.  I checked to see if the online Dropbox for that account had those files, and they don't.

So, I've used Dropbox on both accounts for several years with my prior computer with little problems.  My old computer is still available but even on that computer, the new computer and the online accounts, all of the files from all folders seem to be missing from from about 2014/15- 2020.  Then new files I'm saving while on my new computer are showing up and syncing on both computers and online. 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Also, the desktop app appears to be active.  I just logged in and see the same situation with the missing years of files.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional details @jmichael11; I appreciate it.

At this point, may I reach out to the email address that's connected to your Community's profile so I can then put you in touch with our Restorations team in the hopes that they'll be able to assist further? 

Let me know here when you get the chance and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I was able to resolve this by accessing my old computer.  For some reason, the missing files were never getting added to Dropbox and backing up.  That has been corrected.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?