cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I am using dropbox using windows xp professional operating system. Today it is not working!

I am using dropbox using windows xp professional operating system. Today it is not working!

pantonfototrend
Explorer | Level 3

i have been using dropbox for over 3 years but today it is not even opening the /home page... i use windows xp professional operating system on my computers. I have noticed , for the past year or so, banner announcements on my dropbox files & folders page that say xp is not being supported... but dropbox has operated fine. Please help as dropbox is integral to my freelance work. Thank you. 9 July 2019.

20 Replies 20

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for getting back to me, @SLJ1

Initially, please note that Dropbox doesn’t and can’t alter your files and folders (including deleting them) without user or third party app interaction. Even if you’re not able to sign in from the website on your computer, your files are still going to be there. 

Additionally, we regularly release new versions of the Dropbox app with more features, better performance, and enhanced security which may not be compatible with older OS. For this reason, we periodically end support of the desktop app for these OS to keep our product offerings in line.

Moving on to your main concern, I’d recommend trying to sign into your account from another browser and an incognito window, as well as ensuring that the primary browser you’re using is updated to its latest version. 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Bonnie K.4
Collaborator | Level 9

The same exact thing is now happening to me on Safari!

The Dropbox website was working perfectly fine about 2 day ago, then yesterday the website would not load at all. All I get is a blank white page. I rebooted my iMac and when I just tried to go to www.dropbox.com now, again all I get is a blank white page!

I am using macOS Sierra 10.12.2.

This needs to be solved ASAP!

ETA: I just tried opening a new window in Incognito mode, and though the Dropbox website loaded, when I tried to sign in I got the sad kitty image that says "Error 405. Something went wrong. Don't worry, your files are still safe and the Dropboxers have been notified."

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Hey @Bonnie K.4, sorry to hear that. 

Could you please send me a screenshot (without any personal info included) of the error message just to ensure I have a visual understanding of what you’re seeing?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Bonnie K.4
Collaborator | Level 9

Sure, this is what I see in the Incognito window:

Hmm, this form is not letting me post screenshots. But this image is the error message I am getting when I log in Incognito:

Dropbox Error 405

When I log in through a regular Safari window, it's just a blank white page.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for the screenshot, @Bonnie K.4! Much appreciated. 

If you’re able to sign in to your account through an incognito window, that means that there could be a browser setting that’s not allowing you to do so through a normal session. 

For this reason, could you try clearing your cache and ensuring that you’re not running any browser extensions when trying to sign into the website? 

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Bonnie K.4
Collaborator | Level 9

I just cleared the cache and turned off all extensions (I only had AdBlock & LastPass running) and no change. I still just get a blank white page.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for trying this out for me, @Bonnie K.4

I’ve sent you a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile to have a more in-depth look into this. 

When you have the chance, please check your inbox for my latest message and we’ll take it from there. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

SLJ1
Helpful | Level 6

"The same exact thing is now happening to me on Safari!"

I think that this confirms that dropbox has recently made an 'improvement' which is not our fault - ie it is nothing to do with our cache or our browser etc. 

it is a bit frustrating that although they had the banner warning for ages, they could have warned us that we would not even be able to access our files BY ANY MEANS. Frankly telling me that my files are safely stored and not deleted is not much help when I cannot see them. lol 

pantonfototrend
Explorer | Level 3

Let's put this issue to bed... since accessing Dropbox via Windows OS10 everything works as it did before when using XP. Whoever is having problems will have to comply with the annoying aspect of modern computer technology when older operating systems are outmoded by Microsoft or Apple. Upgrade or stop whingeing! Here in UK there are more and more apps and utilities that have ceased to function when using XP. Once upgraded to Windows 10 (don't know what the equivalent is for Apple) everything works. So there you have it.

SLJ1
Helpful | Level 6
Sorry you think I am whingeing but I'd like access to my documents. I have just wiped my computer clean and installed Windows 7. All updates have been loaded. But still no luck. No access to dropbox. Although there has been some progress.... whereas I used to get a blank screen in XP now I get a drop box screen that accepts my password etc but remains unresponsive
Need more support?