cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I bought an e-book which was shared with me through Dropbox, but I can't open the file. Any help?

I bought an e-book which was shared with me through Dropbox, but I can't open the file. Any help?

Helpful | Level 5

Hi! I'm completely new to Dropbox. I bought an e-book which was sent to me via Dropbox as a shared file, but it doesn't open using any of the recommended methods. I've created a Dropbox account, downloaded the app, gone to the Shared page. Supposedly an Add option will come up when I click on the file, but Add isn't in the list that appears. I've tried opening it out of Downloads, but nothing happens. Does anyone have any helpful ideas?

Thank you.

14 Replies 14

Re: opening a shared file

Dropboxer

Hi @Aoitengu, I hope you're doing well!

Could you just clarify for me, was the file shared with your individually, or was it within a folder that was shared with you?

If it was shared as a singular file, were you checking the file from here?

The "add" option would only show for a shared folder, as a shared folder can be added to your Dropbox account, while a shared file will only be visible from your Sharing tab.

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Daphne!

Thank you for your reply. What I see on the page that comes up from the link you sent me is a blue folder icon that has the same title as the book. This is the same page I was working from. I assume the book must be part of that blue folder somehow. All I know is that I bought the e-book, and the author sent it to me using your platform. I didn't have a Dropbox account until I created one in order to access the book. i'm only trying to use Dropbox because I want to read the book.

The folder is labeled 'secured'--might that have something to do with not being able to open it?

Thank you for your help,

Aoi

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @Aoitengu!

Just to make sure we're on the same page, can you send me a screenshot of what you mentioned about he folder being labelled "secured"?

Is the folder icon plain blue, or does it have a silhouette of two people on the folder?

Also, what is the file type of the e-book file? Eg. .pdf, .docx etc.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Daphne,

It's a pdf file, and the logo has the silhouettes of two people. 

I haven't done a screen shot before, and I'm kind of tired tonight, so I will try to do that and send it tomorrow.

Have a good weekend!

Marcia

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Daphne,

I figured out how to do a screen shot, so here it is:

https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/pri/get/Screenshots/Screen%20Shot%202020-10-04%20at%2010.08.55%20PM.png?_subje...

Please let me know if this method of sending it didn't work.

Thank you,

Aoi

Dropboxer

I wouldn't be able to see the screenshot from that link I'm afraid, as it's the URL for the file located within your account @Aoitengu.

Would you be able to send me a shared link to the file with the steps outlined here?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Helpful | Level 5

I've tried creating and copying a link, and then inserting it in this message--did that work? What appears in my Clipboard isn't anything I can move or copy.

Marcia

Dropboxer

Hey @Aoitengu, I'm afraid we didn't get a shared link in your response. 

If you follow these steps, you can create a shared link and it should give you the option to copy it. 

From there, you can paste it in your response the same way you would paste any other URL link. 

Having said that, could you try once more? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Helpful | Level 5

https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/sh/jjnuh1xnpwh3ts3/AABqAeLzjl7tMeiE3AJjvDJSa?dl=0

Hi Lusil,

I've tried again--I hope this time it works.

Thanks for your help,

Marcia

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?