cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I can no longer overwrite a file - same exact name - but keep the same link!

I can no longer overwrite a file - same exact name - but keep the same link!

slidedesignr
Helpful | Level 6

This just suddenly started in the last couple of days, after working for years. I'm having an issue where a new link is generated for an updated version of the same file with the same name in the same location. I'm replacing the file locally on my Mac and it's being uploaded by the Dropbox app. 

The replaced file makes the old shared link invalid. The link has already been shared with clients but I need to be able to make updates to the doc, and keep our comments thread intact so we can continue to resolve edits and comments. Has something changed? Is this a bug? I don't recall changing any relevant settings. 

This is making sharing files with clients for collaboration totally unusable, which is 90% of why we use Dropbox...help!

8 Replies 8

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @slidedesignr, thanks for reaching out to us and sorry to hear about your frustration. 

I tried replicating this from my end, and I'm afraid I'm not getting the same results. 

Could you clarify the exact steps you're taking so that I can look into this again? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

slidedesignr
Helpful | Level 6

Sure. 

1. Upload file called 999File.doc (fake name) to the folder My Private Folder 
  2. Copy that same file to the shared folder Client Folder when it's ready for them to view
  3. They make comments directly in Dropbox
  4. Make requested updates to 999File.doc in My Private Folder
  5. When finished, copy and paste to Client Folder (note the filename has not changed) when it's ready for them to view the new resolved updates
  6. TYPICALLY what happens is this overwrites the previous 999File.doc, and the same share URL points to it. Comments and annotations in Dropbox are preserved, thought it will say something like "Older Version"
  7. NOW what happens is...the previous version of 999File.doc is deleted, along with all of the comments and annotations, and a new URL is created for the new version of 999File.doc.

This is a major problem. If it's something specific to my account, please let me know what I need to do to resolve this. 

Thanks!

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @slidedesignr; thanks for the additional details here.

I'm not sure if this will do the trick, but have you tried overwriting the file using our website and not by copying or moving the file on your desktop with our desktop app running?

While we're at it, are you using our new desktop app when overwriting the file(s) or your Finder/File Explorer? 

In case this keeps happening, could you send us a sample shared link that's showing this behavior so we can have a look on our end? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

slidedesignr
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Walter, I have the desktop app installed, but I don't use it. I'm saving to/ copying/ overwriting/ etc using the synced folders on my Mac.

What's the best way to shoot you a link? 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @slidedesignr, are you using the native Finder app on your app, or a third party file explorer when copying and pasting?

If not, it sounds like there was a recent change in the OS somehow, where instead of overwriting a file, it deletes the original, thus deleting it from Dropbox along with the shared link, and then adding the file again as new.

We're not able to duplicate this behavior on our machines.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

slidedesignr
Helpful | Level 6

I'm using Finder. I've changed nothing on my end. 

If you search the community, there have been others with this issue as well. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

The thread you posted is over 4 years old, and as of yet, we've not received any other reports regarding this specific matter, nor are we able to duplicate what you're experiencing.

Generally, the way the OS writes and saves files isn't something that is related to Dropbox, so there isn't much else I can suggest on this matter.

As a workaround, if you upload the file directly to the site instead of copying and pasting in the Dropbox folder, then that would overwrite the file and keep the shared link intact.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?