cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I can see <SYMLINK>,<SYMLINKD>, or <JUNCTION> added on online-only files. Why?

Helpful | Level 5

I discovered this construct created by dropbox when I use the "smart sync"
option on the parent folder to save that (sub)folder to "cloud only" --- it seems that
the symlinks are pointing to itself --- How does this work??

1/08/2019 17:34 <DIR> configs
12/20/2019 21:02 <DIR> docs
12/20/2019 21:02 <DIR> flash
12/20/2019 21:02 <DIR> logs
12/20/2019 21:02 <DIR> Software
12/20/2019 21:02 <DIR> support
4/11/2014 9:10 <SYMLINK> credentials.txt [C:\Dropbox\Network\LenovoEZ\credentials.txt]
6/10/2015 22:17 <SYMLINK> diag.url [C:\Dropbox\Network\LenovoEZ\diag.url]
10/24/2017 16:59 <SYMLINK> diagurl.txt [C:\Dropbox\Network\LenovoEZ\diagurl.txt]
7/29/2015 9:20 <SYMLINK> ezmedia-4.1-en.pdf [C:\Dropbox\Network\LenovoEZ\ezmedia-4.1-en.pdf]
6/30/2019 22:14 <SYMLINK> itsname.txt [C:\Dropbox\Network\LenovoEZ\itsname.txt]
2/21/2016 11:47 <SYMLINK> Lenovo-Invoice-Newegg.pdf [C:\Dropbox\Network\LenovoEZ\Lenovo-Invoice-Newegg.pdf]
2/27/2016 9:57 <SYMLINK> serial-no.txt [C:\Dropbox\Network\LenovoEZ\serial-no.txt]
6/24/2019 11:16 <SYMLINK> support-url.txt [C:\Dropbox\Network\LenovoEZ\support-url.txt]
7/25/2019 7:47 <SYMLINK> support2.txt [C:\Dropbox\Network\LenovoEZ\support2.txt]

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: I can see <SYMLINK>,<SYMLINKD>, or <JUNCTION> added on online-only files. Why?

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@Frank P E. wrote:

... it seems that the symlinks are pointing to itself --- How does this work??

Hi @Frank P E.,

Yes, exactly - "it seems", but only seems! Symbolic link is a file like every other file, but using special format denoting inside target place (doesn't matter link to file, directory or something else). When this file doesn't sit on disk, as have to be ("Smart Sync" is active), there is not any way target place to be figured out.  That's why links seems little bit "stupid" (if I can say so). As a workaround, make sure corresponding links are not "Smart Sync"-ed (i.e. not online only).

Hope this casts some light.

This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please feel free to create a new topic here. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: smart sync

Helpful | Level 5

@iraqisama wrote:
badge

What does "badge" mean? 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Frank P E., apologies for the slight delay here. 

It sounds like you’re referencing directories in Dropbox in a different folder.

If you're using Smart Sync, then the results that contain <SYMLINK>,<SYMLINKD>, or <JUNCTION> in their corresponding lines are Dropbox online-only files, so you may have to remove the link & place the files/folders in the Dropbox folder instead. Once you do, you can mark them as Online-only

I can also see that you’re discussing that with my colleague through our support system & I’ve included a note of your comments here on your existing email chain. 

Feel free to reply on either channel & we’ll do my best to check back with you. Thanks!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hello –

Thanks for your reply. I have reversed engineered the process and discovered that the symlinks are created by using “smart sync”

As it turns out what it looks like that the link is pointing to itself, it seems that the dropbox (windows) client uses this schema to intercept file i/o to it and complete the request via the cloud.

In addition, to access any of these “symlink” files, the DB client has to be running. Thanks for you reply and help.

Highlighted

Re: I can see <SYMLINK>,<SYMLINKD>, or <JUNCTION> added on online-only files. Why?

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@Frank P E. wrote:

... it seems that the symlinks are pointing to itself --- How does this work??

Hi @Frank P E.,

Yes, exactly - "it seems", but only seems! Symbolic link is a file like every other file, but using special format denoting inside target place (doesn't matter link to file, directory or something else). When this file doesn't sit on disk, as have to be ("Smart Sync" is active), there is not any way target place to be figured out.  That's why links seems little bit "stupid" (if I can say so). As a workaround, make sure corresponding links are not "Smart Sync"-ed (i.e. not online only).

Hope this casts some light.

This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please feel free to create a new topic here. 

View solution in original post

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?