cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't delete the "My PC" folder from Dropbox, what can I do?

I can't delete the "My PC" folder from Dropbox, what can I do?

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

The name of my PC set by windows 10 is DELLINSPIRON15. Dropbox software automatically created a folder in Dropbox as:               My PC (DELLINSPIRON15).

This folder has a document folder in it in which I am not storing any documents as they are stored in some other location in my PC. I am unable to delete this folder from my Computer. I have tried deleting it by logging into my online dropbox account and it gives me an error message 'Couldn't delete 1 item'. If I delete it directly from my dropbox folder in my computer, it reappears there.

How can I get rid of this folder from my dropbox?

Please help. Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cannot Delete MY PC Folder

Dropboxer

Hey @pankajuppal, I just wanted to follow up on this. 

I had another look into this and, reading through your initial post, it seems that what you're seeing is expected.

If you want to remove the folder in question, you'll have to first turn off automatic computer backup from your desktop app. 

Once you do this, your files will remain in your Dropbox account, but they will no longer appear in their original folders on your computer. Instead, they’ll be replaced by a shortcut to the Dropbox folder.

However, you can drag-and-drop those files from the Dropbox folder, back to their original folders, at any point in time. 

I hope this helps a bit more, but let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

167 Replies 167

Dropboxer

Hey @pankajuppal, thanks for checking in with us!

I'd be more than happy to help look into this with you, I'll just need a bit more info to make sure that we're on the same page. For example, could you:

• Confirm if you have the beta version of the desktop app installed? You can check this by hovering over your Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock and seeing if the version is xx.3.xx (currently being 95.3.425). 
  • Send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of your Import tab from your desktop app's settings?

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Dropboxer

Hey @pankajuppal, I just wanted to follow up on this. 

I had another look into this and, reading through your initial post, it seems that what you're seeing is expected.

If you want to remove the folder in question, you'll have to first turn off automatic computer backup from your desktop app. 

Once you do this, your files will remain in your Dropbox account, but they will no longer appear in their original folders on your computer. Instead, they’ll be replaced by a shortcut to the Dropbox folder.

However, you can drag-and-drop those files from the Dropbox folder, back to their original folders, at any point in time. 

I hope this helps a bit more, but let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

How to remove "MY PC" folder and sync

New member | Level 2

When installing Dropbox on a new laptop, I mistakenly selected an option that allows Dropbox to sink my Desktop to a folder called "My PC". Now, I have all my desktop files syncing to a "My PC" folder which takes up space on Dropbox. I do not want this. How do I remove "My PC" completely? I have tried un-selecting the "My PC" folder in selective sync BUT the folder ALWAYS re-selects itself each time I close the window.

Re: How to remove "MY PC" folder and sync

Dropboxer

Hi @Dave-000, thanks for messaging today!

As it sounds like you’re referring to the automatic computer backup, try the steps in the following post to see if they help.

Keep me posted!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

How to remove/ delete my PC from dropbox account

New member | Level 2

how i remove my pc from my dropbox account its show permanently i didnt want this when i unlink it and singin its show again 

how i remove my pc (desktop, document, download )from dropbox account 

Re: How to remove/ delete my PC from dropbox account

Super User II

Because you are signing in again it relinks it. 

If you do not want it to show on your account you need to unlink and not resign in.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Unable to delete folders

New member | Level 2

I have a folder My PC (DESKTOP-V57VJ4M) when I tried to delete or rename or move. It will always tell me deletion fail. There was a problem deleting “folder name” please try again
I have unlink all the connection and login throw web browser to try to delete but still not successfully
Anyone can help how to remove this stubborn folder

:folded hands: Thanks

Re: Unable to delete folders

Super User II

@CheongKing wrote:
I have a folder My PC (DESKTOP-V57VJ4M) when I tried to delete or rename or move. It will always tell me deletion fail. There was a problem deleting “folder name” please try again

Disable the Automatic Computer Backup feature.

Re: Unable to delete folders

New member | Level 2
The machine is dead and thrown away.
So how do I actually remove it away from my phone this folder ?

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?