cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I can't edit my Excel file when I open it on my iPad

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I'm using Dropbox on my iPad and opening excel files in the Dropbox App. When I want to edit them, I'm tapping 'Open' on the file in the Dropbox app. Which then opens the File in the Excel app.

The problem is that I am then unable to edit the document and am seeing an error message telling me that the file is ready only'. Image below.

I am using the latest versions of iOS, Dropbox and Excel on my iPad.

Any ideas would be really welcome!

Thanks,

DWTCD

B8D7549A-B70A-4C2A-9054-F38CF8F342A7.jpeg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: I can't edit my Excel file when I open it on my iPad

Super User II
Super User II

As the message states, the file is more than likely in an older Excel file format (2007 or older). Newer versions of Excel save files in a different format. While you can open and view the older formats, you usually can't edit them in the iOS apps. This is a Microsoft issue, and unrelated to Dropbox.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

As the message states, the file is more than likely in an older Excel file format (2007 or older). Newer versions of Excel save files in a different format. While you can open and view the older formats, you usually can't edit them in the iOS apps. This is a Microsoft issue, and unrelated to Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Ah,

Ok, that makes sense.

Thanks for your help.

DWTCD

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?