cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't edit my Excel file when I open it on my iPad

I can't edit my Excel file when I open it on my iPad

dwtcd
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm using Dropbox on my iPad and opening excel files in the Dropbox App. When I want to edit them, I'm tapping 'Open' on the file in the Dropbox app. Which then opens the File in the Excel app.

The problem is that I am then unable to edit the document and am seeing an error message telling me that the file is ready only'. Image below.

I am using the latest versions of iOS, Dropbox and Excel on my iPad.

Any ideas would be really welcome!

Thanks,

DWTCD

B8D7549A-B70A-4C2A-9054-F38CF8F342A7.jpeg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

As the message states, the file is more than likely in an older Excel file format (2007 or older). Newer versions of Excel save files in a different format. While you can open and view the older formats, you usually can't edit them in the iOS apps. This is a Microsoft issue, and unrelated to Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

As the message states, the file is more than likely in an older Excel file format (2007 or older). Newer versions of Excel save files in a different format. While you can open and view the older formats, you usually can't edit them in the iOS apps. This is a Microsoft issue, and unrelated to Dropbox.

dwtcd
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Ah,

Ok, that makes sense.

Thanks for your help.

DWTCD

FTT
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hello,

We have set up a new Dropbox Business account with 5 users. We are trying to work in excel and when one of us opens an excel file it locks everyone else out. After they save it they becomes read only for everyone as well. Then randomly one of us can open it and edit the excel again. PC seems to work fine iPad not so much. Any suggestions,

Thanks

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @FTT, thanks for posting today! 

When did this start happening? 

Also, can you send me a screenshot of the message you received when trying to open the file? 

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    FTT New member | Level 2
    dwtcd Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?