cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I can't edit one of my excel files in dropbox, it's been fine till now...help!

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

My other files give me the option to 'open with' but one doesn't. It's a file I use every week and it only has one other user. I was the last one to edit it so can't figure out what's going wrong, I tried downloading a test version and uploading that, but the same thing happens!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Can't open Excel file to edit it

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello Jane,

I'm back at work today and the file now opens just fine, and nothing has changed this end, who knows what was going on before but happy for now that all seems ok.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Re: I can't edit one of my excel files in dropbox, it's been fine till now...help!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @JessieB, while I’d suggest checking out the hints outlined here as a great starting point, would you mind having an additional look & ensure that the file causing you trouble isn’t currently placed in a folder you’ve removed in your Selective Synced settings? I think that this will could helpful, since the Open button will only appear for files already synced with that device's local Dropbox folder. 

From there, I’m wondering if you’re currently working on a Dropbox Business team & your team admin has disabled Extensions, where you should see the Open instead of the Open with option, so you may have to reach out to them directly on this matter.

Hopefully my post points you towards the right direction & please do let me know my advice works for you in your next post here. Thanks in advance Jessie! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Re: I can't edit one of my excel files in dropbox, it's been fine till now...help!

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thank you Jane, I'm not that tech savvy I'm afraid, but the file lives in a folder where all the other files seem to open fine. And they are also excel files. I don't have dropbox business

Not sure what else to try?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Also, how do I check to see if that folder/file has become unsynced? Any help much appreciated.

Highlighted

Can't open Excel file to edit it

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

My other files give me the option to 'open with' but one doesn't. It's a file I use every week and it only has one other user. I was the last one to edit it so can't figure out what's going wrong, I tried downloading a test version and uploading that, but the same thing happens!

I'm not that tech savvy, but the file lives in a folder where all the other files seem to open fine. And they are also excel files. I don't have dropbox business

Not sure what else to try

Also, how do I check to see if that folder/file has become unsynced? Any help much appreciated.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for circling back to me here with your findings @JessieB

#1. As an initial point of reference, can you please ensure that you’ve downloaded our latest desktop version (74.4.115), you’ve made all OS updates & our application is syncing correctly on your menu bar/ system tray

If it’s not too much trouble for you, could you unlink & relink your account on your desktop once as a quick fix & have a look at your overlay icons to see if your files are syncing correctly /? Once you do, please grab two screeenshots for me showing me the options you’re getting on your end upon trying to open the spreadsheet that’s causing you trouble & the overlay icons on your files on your desktop (omitting personal info) & include them in your next message if possible. 

#2. Following, you should be able to see the folders you've removed locally through your Selective Sync settings by clicking the Dropbox icon from your system tray/ menu bar. > Then click on the icon, and then select Preferences from the menu. > Click Sync  . > Click the Selective Sync button on the middle of your screen (under Selective Sync). 

Please let me know how you get on with my advice or if I’ve misunderstood your question in any way on our discussion here. Thanks again Jessie! 

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello Jane,

I'm back at work today and the file now opens just fine, and nothing has changed this end, who knows what was going on before but happy for now that all seems ok.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

🙌 Pleased to hear that you managed to resolve your concern on your end today JessieB ! We’re always just a post away in case you have further inquiries or thoughts in the future, so don't hesitate to reach back out here at any time. Wishing you a lovely weekend ahead! 🤓

Jane

Highlighted

I'm not able to edit my Excel files, I can only view them. What can I do?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I am not on shared files or a business!  Recently, withing a couple months, when I attempt to open document files, it does not go to the file where I can edit them.  I cant find a way to edit my excel files.  It seems as if it is read only.  How can I get back to opening a file and actually going there and be able to work with it???

Highlighted

Re: unable to edit excell files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @larerobe, thanks for reaching out here!

Are you possibly opening your Excel files on the website? It sounds like you might be previewing the file, where you wouldn't be able to make any changes.

If you're indeed using the website, can you click the "Open" option next to the file name in your Files page and choose to open with Microsoft Excel Online? You can also check out the exact steps here.

Let me if this helps or if you're opening the file another way- thanks!

This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please feel free to create a new topic here. 

Daphne

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?