cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't find some of my computer files after they were added to the Dropbox folder

I can't find some of my computer files after they were added to the Dropbox folder

New member | Level 2

I downloaded Dropbox on my mac only because a friend of mine shared some of her dropbox files with me. I needed dropbox to view the files. After downloading, my local hard drive files synced with Dropbox and I cannot access them locally. Most of my 'synced' files have a ton of missing important folders. So now I cannot view or access them on Dropbox OR my local hard drive. Why are the folders missing? How do I stop my files from being synced to Dropbox? I only want to delete my files off Dropbox, NOT from my computer. I do not want my hard drive files on my drop box account, I only am using the account to view shared files that were sent to me. Im having a really hard time. Please help!

1 Reply 1

Re: Syncing help

Dropboxer

Hi @lmyk, thanks for checking in and sorry to hear about your frustration. 

It sounds like computer backup was enabled, which added computer folders (like Documents, Desktop, and Downloads) to your Dropbox folder. 

You can turn the feature off by following the steps mentioned in this article

However, since you mention that you can't find some of the files, could you check your local Dropbox folder, the original location, the local Trash/Recycling Bin, as well as the events page online, for any additional information? 

Let me know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?