cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn about how Kev uses Dropbox to make sure he keeps track of all the new music he listens to? Check out his tips here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't find some of my computer files after they were added to the Dropbox folder

I can't find some of my computer files after they were added to the Dropbox folder

lmyk
New member | Level 2

I downloaded Dropbox on my mac only because a friend of mine shared some of her dropbox files with me. I needed dropbox to view the files. After downloading, my local hard drive files synced with Dropbox and I cannot access them locally. Most of my 'synced' files have a ton of missing important folders. So now I cannot view or access them on Dropbox OR my local hard drive. Why are the folders missing? How do I stop my files from being synced to Dropbox? I only want to delete my files off Dropbox, NOT from my computer. I do not want my hard drive files on my drop box account, I only am using the account to view shared files that were sent to me. Im having a really hard time. Please help!

20 Replies 20

Re: Syncing help

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi @lmyk, thanks for checking in and sorry to hear about your frustration. 

It sounds like computer backup was enabled, which added computer folders (like Documents, Desktop, and Downloads) to your Dropbox folder. 

You can turn the feature off by following the steps mentioned in this article

However, since you mention that you can't find some of the files, could you check your local Dropbox folder, the original location, the local Trash/Recycling Bin, as well as the events page online, for any additional information? 

Let me know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

vivivivianna
Explorer | Level 3

I have the same issue except I was backing up my external hard drive.

I cannot find majority of my local files after I agreed to back up my external hard drive. I can see my folders being added to the dropbox desktop and dropbox webpage but only the folder structures, not the actual contents in the subfolders, and I can see the folders being added on the events page in dropbox. But not in my local drive and recycle bins! Can anyone tell me what to do?

Megan
Dropboxer
Happy Tuesday @vivivivianna

Can you let me know more in regards to your app's syncing status? 

In addition, have you followed @Lusil's instructions on how to disable the feature? 

Let me know, and we'll take it from there.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

vivivivianna
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lori,

The syncing status shows "Syncing" in the desktop app, I have paused the syncing indefinitely. However, I am not sure how to restore my missing files.

Thank you.

Megan
Dropboxer
Thanks for the speedy reply @vivivivianna

Have you checked your Deleted files page and Events page? 

Are you able to see the missing files on our website by any chance? Or are they missing from both the device and the web?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

vivivivianna
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lori,

Like I said, the folder structure is visible on the web, but no content inside. Since the folders can be seen on the web, the missing files are not on the deleted file page and you can find them being added to the events page.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @vivivivianna, you first said you can see the folders on the site and events page, but no files, and then you said you can see the files on the events page.

Could you clarify what you mean by this? A screenshot would help greatly.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

vivivivianna
Explorer | Level 3

I meant that I can see that folder structures in the events page like this. For example, the laptop backup folder (my own backup, not using the computer backup function offered in Dropbox) is missing from my hard drive but I can see it being added to dropbox but without the actual content in the folders.

Also, is there a private channel for us to talk coz then I can share screenshots more comfortably. Thanks. 

vivivivianna_0-1627309768581.png

Jay
Dropboxer
Were you backing up the external drive manually to your Dropbox account?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    oliviafair Explorer | Level 4
    vivivivianna Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?