Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I can't locate copied files to my personal account from a shared folder. How should I proceed?

Explorer | Level 3

Back in December, just before stopping work to have a baby, I copied a number of my files from a shared work Dropbox account to my personal Dropbox account. 

Now, 7 months later, I'm picking back up again and these files have disappeared. 

My personal account is no longer linked with this shared work account, and I no longer have access to it.  Would this have anything to do with the missing files?  Could they have dropped out of my personal account when my access to the shared was stopped? 

Most importantly, is there any way to retrieve these missing files after so long? 

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated!

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: Missing Files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Helba, I’d say that we need to focus on the initial move, in order to reach a safe conclusion. So, assuming that the organization you were working on had shared a folder with you, you copied some files from the share to your personal account & then they removed your access, then these files should still have been within the personal folder you had created for the purpose. 

Now, just so as to focus a bit closer on why you can’t locate those, can you let me know whether- upon searching for the missing content on your account online- you can’t find any of these files or just some of them? Had you moved all the files at the same location in one go perchance? 

We usually advise starting off from your  Sharing tab, the Deleted Files & your Events pages as a first step & see if you can find the missing files there. However, if the search there doesn’t yield any results, let me know of your findings here & I’ll try to figure out an alternative solution. Thanks for your cooperation & I’m looking forward to hearing back from you here! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jane, 

Thanks for your quick response. 

So in total I reckon I copied around 30-40 items at varying times and didn't file them all in the same place - or they would have been in separate sub-folders within the same folder. 

I have searched through in shared and deleted files and found nothing!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
I appreciate your speedy message back @Helba! Now, following-up from your last comment, it looks like we’d have to trace the files individually, since these weren’t grouped together within a single batch. Could you maybe remember whether you transferred those using your desktop application or if these uploaded to your personal account through our Website

Also, can you let me know if searching 🔍 within that particular destination folder/directory brings up any results? Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next message, so as to further advise! 

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jane, 

I was working solely through the desktop application.  I did change macbooks too, uninstalled dropbox from one and re-installed on the other but I can't imagine this would have anything to do with this? 

I have tried searching and nothing coming up!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for staying in touch with me & letting me know of your findings @Helba! Now, your last post makes me think that there could’ve been an issue when you changed devices, however I’d need to dig a bit deeper to see if this applies. So as to get going with that, I’ve now sent you a brief email on the email address I have on file for your Community profile, so that we have a closer look on the missing content together & cross-check our findings. Please check your inbox & we’ll take it from there! 

Jane

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jane, 

I received the email and I replied so I look forward to picking up the conversation over on email. 

Many thanks,

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thank you so much for your cooperation @Helba; I have now made sure to reply back on your open support request with some questions, just so as to continue from we’ve left off here. I’m looking forward to hearing back from you on this email chain!

Jane

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?