cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't open any JPG and PDF files on my Mac computer.

Highlighted

I can't open any JPG and PDF files on my Mac computer.

Helpful | Level 6

Dropbox is now essentially useless for me.  JPG and PDF files that have synched to my computer now do not open. I just get a spinning box and the file never opens (in the Preview app in my case). This is a new problem that has only started happening in recent months.  I reported this but got no solution. This renders the product useless.

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox now virtually useless on a mac - cannot open pdf or image files

Not applicable

Hello @Barry R.3 !

Have you tried un-installing and then re-installing the Dropbox App on your computer? If you are using the web version, dropbox.com , I recommend that you clear your browsing cookies & data. Please also go to, https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/troubleshoot-homepage , as it lists many ways to troubleshoot & fix problems if dropbox.com fails to load/loads incorrectly. I hope this helps!

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

That did not help. If you do a google search for the problem you will see that lots of other people have the identical problem. I just found a dialog box saying the file is damaged or unrecognized. If you move the file out of dropbox or view it on the server it is okay.

The problem is most probably related to the smart synch new feature you recently released. This needs some serious investigation and since it has brought your customer's work to a halt, it is an urgent issue.

I put a ticket in 5 days ago and got a response that we will look at it. This is not good enough as you can't use the product. This needs immediate attention and getting to the root of the problem. It is not an installation issue.

This is just another consequence of the feature creep that has been happening to dropbox over the past few years and ruining what was once a great product many years ago. https://www.chargify.com/blog/feature-creep/

Highlighted

Not applicable

Hello again @Barry R.3 

I found a past Dropbox Forum thread that has a similar problem, https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Cannot-open-PDFs-in-Dropbox-error-mess.... Please view and complete the steps suggested in the "Accepted Solution." I hope this helps!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?