cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I can't open my files as they've been encrypted by a ransomware. How can I restore them?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I went to open some files from a shared Dropbox folder, and found that I cannot open any of the files any longer. This notification pops up when I attempt to open them:

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 12.34.08 PM.png

All my files have that .pdf.id... name on them and I am wondering if they are all corrupted of if I can do anything to restore them. Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Cannot Open Files

Super User II
Super User II

@Kris_011 

It would seem that either you or another member of the shared folder has been hit by some ransomware. If the only files you're seeing with the .eight extension appear in the shared, then it's likely someone else. If you're seeing files with the .eight extension in other parts of your Dropbox, then you're the one that's likely infected.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the info Rich.

Is there any way I can see the original files? Or are they gone for good?

Super User II
Super User II

@Kris_011 wrote:

Is there any way I can see the original files? Or are they gone for good?

The link I posted previously describes how to recover the files.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?