cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I can't open the files on some folders but can online

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I can't open the the files on some of my folders but when I try it online, it opens. Also, when i move the folder to my PC desktop, the files open. Please see the error it gives when i try opening the folder from my dropbox desktop version

"we couldn't open that file. Rename the file to use a shorter name or copy it to a different folder with a shorter path"

"sorry we couldn't find C.....Is it possible it was moved, renamed or deleted?"

Please what can be done to resolve this?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: I can't open the files on some folders but can online

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks you for reaching out about this @I-A

What you are experiencing is a limitation of the apps that you are using to open the files. The error occurs when there are more than 255 characters in the entire file path and the app cannot go that deep and follow this path in Dropbox. 

Our desktop app can read and write to locations that are longer than 255 characters, so the files will sync to and from those locations, however, the applications used to open or save said files (e.g. Word, Notepad, Excel, Etc.) might not support reading from there. 

Workaround to have this working for you without changing anything: Open/edit the files on Dropbox.com with the Open with button if possible. 

Solution: Rename the folder names or move the file in an upper level of your structure, to shorten the folder path and help the third party app locate this file. 

Note Renaming a folder will cause syncing for all the files in it because it changes the name of the folder in the path for all the files under this folder. 

I'd be more than happy to clarify this further, so comment back with all your questions. 

Let me how you chose to solve this. 

Thank you!

This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please feel free to create a new topic here. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: I can't open the files on some folders but can online

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks you for reaching out about this @I-A

What you are experiencing is a limitation of the apps that you are using to open the files. The error occurs when there are more than 255 characters in the entire file path and the app cannot go that deep and follow this path in Dropbox. 

Our desktop app can read and write to locations that are longer than 255 characters, so the files will sync to and from those locations, however, the applications used to open or save said files (e.g. Word, Notepad, Excel, Etc.) might not support reading from there. 

Workaround to have this working for you without changing anything: Open/edit the files on Dropbox.com with the Open with button if possible. 

Solution: Rename the folder names or move the file in an upper level of your structure, to shorten the folder path and help the third party app locate this file. 

Note Renaming a folder will cause syncing for all the files in it because it changes the name of the folder in the path for all the files under this folder. 

I'd be more than happy to clarify this further, so comment back with all your questions. 

Let me how you chose to solve this. 

Thank you!

This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please feel free to create a new topic here. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?