cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I can't see my personal, regular files. Help?

I can't see my personal, regular files. Help?

Kib_1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I can't see my Regular files- only my Shared ones- and I would like to delete them as they are taking up most of the space on my account. How do I first see what they are, and then how do I then delete them? Can you advise me how to do this step by step?

20 Replies 20

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for all the updates here @yodave!

If you're still interested in getting to the bottom of this, can you let me know if you see any folders in your Dropbox account online from this page? www.dropbox.com/home

Your account online will always show all the data in your account, whether it's being synced to any devices or not.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

yodave
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for your message.

Yes I have lots of folders, but I've been through them all and there's only one with bigger files; maybe 150Mb in that one. The rest are all just a few Mb. Best I can tell, the bulk of the data usage is used for syncing to something, but I don't know what, and I can't see any folder that's being used for syncing.

Have a great weekend!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me here @yodave!

Any folder that are syncing with any devices or not will always show in your "All files" page in your account online. This is like your central hub for seeing everything in your account.

Can you use the steps outlined here to show the folder sizes to see if this helps with narrowing down the bulk of the data?

Your top level folders there should add up to the space usage you see in your plan page

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

yodave
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Daphne,

I tried this, and it resolved the problem. Thank you.

I have 30-40 folders all with varying small amounts, but they're bigger than I imagined, including my fonts folder which has 200Mb when I imagined it would have been much less. Together, these account for the usage. In terms of feedback, it should be a bit easier to see the size of folders in terms of UX, but this solved my issue so many thanks.

Have a great weekend!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm very glad to hear that helped @yodave!

I appreciate your feedback on this too, I've made a note on this from my side.

I'm just a post away if you need anything else. 😁

Hope you have a lovely weekend too!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

ghostofk2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

If anyone still wondering. These hidden regular files are actually backups. You may accidentally backup-ed your PC or more likely an external drive.  You can find and delete them in the dropbox backup.

Hope it helps, cheers

TH9
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dear DropBox,

Respectfully, that did not answer his question and the question many have of this same issue. his question was..."How do I first see what they are, and then how do I then delete them?"

I have spent a lot of time searching for this answer to no avail. I now believe that it is intentional on DropBox's part to create a level of frustration and anxiety over the "free" space. after all, the free 2GB space is the marketing tool and its to DropBoxes advantage and desire that we all pony up for monthly payments. DropBox does not want us to have access to that free storage space to delete unintended synced "Regular" files or any management of the free storage space.

After all, how easy it would be to create the access to that storage space and have the ability to delete individual files or a select all prompt to delete. DropBox wants to keep flagging the [out of space] banner in your faces every-time you sign in.

Whatever!

TH9
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It is intentional by DropBox to not give us simple access to these unintended synced files taking up the Free 2GB storage space. Like you I spent hours all over the web and the answer is always the same...which is No Answer. I believe DropBox is playing the marketing anxiety game. Build up enough anxiety over time to get a customer to say.."the hell with it" and pop for some monthly payment plan. That whats drives the stock value.

Whatever!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @TH9, if files aren't taking up quota on the main Dropbox page, you can try checking the backups page to see if any backups are using the quota.

Incidentally, the previous post from my colleague was back in 2020, prior to the newer version of the backup feature.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

TH9
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I will try that but DropBox message is still “your storage is full, UPGRADE NOW for more storage!” Rather than, directing you to were the Regular Files are so that you can manage the Free Space. DropBox does not want you to manage the Free Space to keep it freed up!

I think there is no getting around DropBox’s sole objective.

Cheers
Need more support?