cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't see the "Version history" option for a file in my account, what can I do?

I can't see the "Version history" option for a file in my account, what can I do?

Hammer1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I've somehow lost a file to something I was playing with on an accounting program. I am trying to follow the instruction for version recovery, but after clicking the check box after hovering over the file, there isn't a "version history" option anywhere that I can find.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

When you browse the file in Dropbox web, you will see the (...) on the right of the file for options menu, there you will find Version history

2020-01-12 at 12.26 PM .png

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

When you browse the file in Dropbox web, you will see the (...) on the right of the file for options menu, there you will find Version history

2020-01-12 at 12.26 PM .png

MaryB3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

brilliant! thank you Community so, so much. Saved me from a lot of angst

Cristian Adrian
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Screenshot 2020-03-16 19.43.58.png

Hello

I would like to understand how can I see data from 2017 or 2016 especially screenshots I had acumulated before Dropbox modify in early 2018 January, since I never deleted anything, I have account before 2016 and cant find ''Click Version history.'' When i selected Screenshots folder, how can i see history since it doesn't appear ?

Thank you

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hello @Cristian Adrian, The Version history is only available on individual files. If you are a paid member, you can use Rewind to revert a folder https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/restore-delete/rewind But even in that case, I am afraid that Dropbox cannot bring back a folder from 2016 or 2017 unless you have purchased extended version history or unlimited version history add-on. 

DB User 4367
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

There is no version history in my menu. What gives? I am interested in restoring recent files (<30 days) but need to confirm they are there. Tried looking in the folder menu and the main menu and there is no version history option. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 9.22.12 AM.png

Robert B.59
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have exactly the same problem:  I worked on a Word file all day yesterday, saving it dozens of times.  Late last night something went wrong and the file became corrupted.  I should be able to find dozens of versions of this file from earlier in the day.  But I can't get to the 'Version history' option either from the local Dropbox app or in the Dropbox website.  SO WHAT IS WRONG WITH DROPBOX???

Without the 'Version history' option it will be 'Goodbye Dropbox'.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @DB User 4367 & @Robert B.59; I'm sorry for the late reply.

If you're still having issues with this, could you try another browser to access the version history of the files in question?

Let us know what you find! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Robert B.59 Explorer | Level 4
    DB User 4367 New member | Level 2
    Elixir Super User
    Cristian Adrian Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?