cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't seem to get my subfolder to be visible. What can I do?

I can't seem to get my subfolder to be visible. What can I do?

Biff_A
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So, this issue is a fairly recent one, not sure if it is due to a dropbox or Windows update, or if there's another step I need to take.

I have a set of folders shared with me with work inside I need to complete as part of my job. These folders are available through the web browser, but working with Office 365 online is a nightmare with formatting and screen-space. I downloaded dropbox and all of my files and folders were available for me to edit, but some time within the last week, a subset of folders was gone from the desktop app. I mean not visible whatsoever. It still appears in the web browser version of dropbox, but NOT on the desktop version. To confligrate things even more, 2 files are showing up within my main "work" folder, but NONE of the sub-folders are visible at all. I checked the seletive sync settings, everything is set to sync. I logged out of and back into the dropbox app. I restarted my Windows 10 Home computer (multiple times). I RE-INSTALLED the dropbox app with the latest version from the dropbox website. These folders are still missing. Attached is a pair of screenshots illustrating what's showing up in the browser vs. what's available on my desktop app.

p.s. Is there no phone number for Dropbox's customer support? Is the lack of a dedicated help line a new COVID-related thing?desktop.pngbrowser.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @Biff_A, let's see what we can find about this together.

As a first step, could you have a look and see if the folders you're missing locally contain any incompatible characters in their names?

If they don't could you confirm what the Dropbox icon (on your system tray) shows when you hover over it?

Keep me posted!

PS. Your technical support options depend on the account that you have. To see yours, log in via the website and go to dropbox.com/support

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @Biff_A, let's see what we can find about this together.

As a first step, could you have a look and see if the folders you're missing locally contain any incompatible characters in their names?

If they don't could you confirm what the Dropbox icon (on your system tray) shows when you hover over it?

Keep me posted!

PS. Your technical support options depend on the account that you have. To see yours, log in via the website and go to dropbox.com/support

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Biff_A
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Lusil,

Thank you so much, it appears there were colons in a significant number of folders (originally created on a MAC machine). The folders are showing up in the Windows installation of dropbox now. I'm now flabberghasted as to why they were ever working in the first place! 

Everything is showing up, my issue is resolved. Thanks again. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Happy to help, @Biff_A! I'm glad to hear that we were able to get to the bottom of this. 

If anything else comes up in the future, just give us a shout. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely week ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Bbrown2834
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just had to send a reply and say I wasn't the one who sent this question in originally but your response worked for me! I had tried everything and cannot believe it was because there was a 'period' in the folder name that was keeping the folder from showing up on my computer offline. Thank you! 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Glad to hear that I was able to help, @Bbrown2834

We're always around to assist if you have any trouble or questions for us, so just give us a shout. :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    Bbrown2834 New member | Level 2
    Biff_A New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?