cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: File Sharing

I can't share a folder due to an error message about shared subfolders, what can I do?

PAEL
New member | Level 2

I am trying to share a file. I have cleared out all subfiles that were shared so that no subfiles are now shared. But I still can't share the file, with a message popping up, it is due to subfiles already being shared. How do I get passed this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropboxer
I’ve reached out to your email address @PAEL, please check your inbox at your earliest convenience.

Also, I can assure you that I’m 100% human! Our responses here are not automated. :grin:

Look forward to hearing from you - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey there @PAEL,

I’m not 100% sure on the exact issue, if I misunderstand anything please clarify this for me.

It sounds like you are trying to share a folder but you are receiving this error message about subfolders within it already being shared. You will need to unshare the subfolders, rather than removing the other members (ie. the folder says “Only you” have access but the folder still shows the folder icon below). 
Shared folder iconShared folder icon
Let me know how it goes - Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

PAEL
New member | Level 2
The problem is that I have already unshared the sub folders and they all say ‘only you.’ Any solution?

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey again @PAEL,

Did you perhaps check if those immediate subfolders have shared folders within them? You would need to unshare all subfolders within the folder you would like to share. From the message you encounter, it appears that maybe this is the reason.

Let me know - Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

PAEL
New member | Level 2

Hi again. I have manually checked every file and subfile within the file I want to share. I still can't share it. Is there a search function that can search for any folder or documents that show as shared or other solution? This is very frustrating and time-wasting. Or please call me: [phone number removed by moderator]

Daphne
Dropboxer

@PAELI would recommend going through our Support channel where we will be able to have a more in depth look at your account. Would you mind if I reach out to the email address associated with your Community profile? Otherwise, if you’ve already submitted a ticket for this, let me know the ticket reference number (eg. #1234567) so I can follow up there for you.

Let me know - Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

PAEL
New member | Level 2

Thanks, please reach out, as I have not got a ticket for this. I look forward to hearing from someone. A human would be nice!

Daphne
Dropboxer
I’ve reached out to your email address @PAEL, please check your inbox at your earliest convenience.

Also, I can assure you that I’m 100% human! Our responses here are not automated. :grin:

Look forward to hearing from you - Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?