cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I can't unshare a folder

Highlighted

I can't unshare a folder

Explorer | Level 3

I have removed all the sharers from a folder and I thought that was all I had to do, but the folder was still marked as being shared (the three figures). I looked at this forum and discovered that I had to 'unshare' the folder.

Following the instructions on the dropbox help:

A) With the desktop dropbox app

1) Right click the shared folder and click share: DONE

2) click the settings icon (gear icon): THERE IS NO GEAR ICON

B) With dropbox.com

1) Click All Files: DONE

2) Hover over the name of the folder and click Share: Well, sort of: I had to click the three dots, and then choose 'Share' from the Menu.

3) Click the Settings icon (gear icon): DONE

4) Click 'Unshare Folder': THERE IS NO 'UNSHARE FOLDER'.

I've been through this many times, and I'm stuck. Help would be appreciated.

(I don't know if it is relevant, but if I click 'Shared Files' from the menu on the left on dropbox.com, I get a long list of folders that I have long since deleted, but the folder I'm trying to unshare is not there).

22 Replies 22
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @Ilfracombe, thanks for posting today!

I'm sorry to hear about this. The options are as described in the article. If you're not seeing the options, then it could be related to something else affecting the app.

Could you try switching browsers to see if this helps? Otherwise, use incognito/private browsing mode without any extensions running, clearing your cache and even resetting your browser entirely. The 'Unshare folder' link should be on the bottom left hand corner when doing this.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks. I should have told you that I have tried all that, and it doesn't make any difference. (I'm on a mac, by the way, running Catalina.)

However, I think I have narrowed down the problem. Both the Finder and the Dropbox application show the folder with the three people on it: the icon for shared. (but on dropbox.com it's a plain generic folder).

But Dropbox is not acting as if it is a shared folder. (For the folders which I know are shared, the behaviour is as it should be).

So it seems to me that problem is just that when I unshared this folder some time ago, Dropbox carried on using the shared folder, so I assumed it was being treated as shared.

Anyway, I created a new folder, moved all the files into that, and deleted the folder with the icon. But I have other similar folders, which I haven't looked into yet. Why is dropbox doing this, and how can I make it behave properly?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

If you're not seeing that option, is it possible that you're not the owner of that folder @Ilfracombe?

When you initially click "Share" for the folder, you will see your access to the folder as one of the following: Owner, Can edit, or Can view.

If you run into this again, please send me a screenshot of the options that you do see when you click the gear icon for the shared folder.

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Daphne, but as I said, the problem appears to be that in fact the folder was unshared, and Dropbox was behaving correctly. However the folder still had the three person icon denoting a shared folder. It would be nice to know why that is, and how I can stop that behaviour. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

We would have to have a folder with this issue to look into it further, and find the root cause for this I'm afraid @Ilfracombe

Anything that we could suggest would be speculation at this point, because it is indeed unexpected behaviour that you described.

I'd be more than happy to investigate with you, so you can just give me a nudge here if you have any updates.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful with this at the moment!

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Daphne. I've deleted it, but it's still in the trash box. I could retrieve it if you like, but I'm not sure what I could do with it.

Explorer | Level 3

OK, I've put it back into the dropbox folder. What would you like me to do?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Okay that's great @Ilfracombe!

Could you send me a screenshot (excluding personal info) of the options you see when you initially click the "Share" option for the folder, and then when you click the gear icon?

Please take those actions via the website just to make sure we're on the same page too. Thanks!

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Here you are. I've done as you suggested, on the webpage dropbox.com, but remember the problem is why the Finder and the Dropbox app are showing the folder as shared when in fact it isn't. The web page isn't showing a shared icon on the folder, and as such appears to be behaving correctly.

Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 17.03.21.png

Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 17.03.34.png

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?