cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'd like some advice on the backup and sync features of Dropbox, any thoughts?

Highlighted

I'd like some advice on the backup and sync features of Dropbox, any thoughts?

New member | Level 2

I'm a dropbox basic user on PC Windows10.  Also use GoogleDrive/GoogleOne with Backup and Sync.  I need to upgrade, and I'm trying to decide between these two cloud services (and Microsoft Onedrive).  I like Google's backup and sync utility, which lets me select particular folders to backup and sync; from the File Explorer screen.  I use that alot.  I see that Dropbox has a backup and sync function, but it seems to be limited to certain folders (documents, photos, and some other folder).  I have other folders not covered by those three (like my family tree folder).   I'm trying to find out if Dropbox basic or plus has something similar to Google's Backup and Sync that would allow me to select any folder from the File Explorer window. 

I like the 30 day rewind feature of Dropbox -- because I'm concerned about accidently losing a document, or work I've done on a document; it would be nice to know I can go back and retrieve a file, or an earlier version a document.  Google had a trash folder that I can look through to retrieve a deleted file, but no version recovery feature.

I've read lots of articles comparing the three cloud services; but none seems to use these cloud services exactly how I do.  Any help would be appreciated, especially if you use Google's Backup and Sync feature, or a similar feature in Dropbox, for particular folders or subfolders

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: backup and sync

Dropboxer

Hey there @bcass, thanks for reaching out to us here!

While I can't provide a comparison to other services, perhaps I can help out by clarifying some of the Dropbox features for you.

The new backup feature for Dropbox allows you to backup your Documents, Desktop and Downloads folders. You can check out some more info about this here.

If you want to sync other folders with Dropbox apart from the 3 folders mentioned above, they would need to be moved within the Dropbox folder so that they can sync to your Dropbox account. 

Dropbox doesn't currently have a feature like what you mentioned to choose any folder in your File Explorer and set it to sync with the app.

Also, while Rewind is currently only for the Plus, Professional and Business, with any of the Dropbox plans (including the free Basic) you can restore a previous version of a file within the version history window for your account's plan.

There's some more info on version history from here.

I hope this info helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?