cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I deleted files and photos to free up space on Dropbox and now they are GONE from my iMac desktop!

I deleted files and photos to free up space on Dropbox and now they are GONE from my iMac desktop!

Explorer | Level 3

Well, this is quite devastating. I somehow linked my iMac desktop INTO my Dropbox account. Then, I went to delete a ton of files and photos from dropbox to free up space and inadvertently deleted ALL my precious photos and work documents from my desktop! It says on my event page I did it in August. I only had the basic free verison (which I've had for years and wasnt sure why I was so maxed out on space) so, from what I've read, there is NO way to get these files and photos back because its been well over 30 days, is that right? I have no other option at all? There is no option to restore them. I have recovered all deleted files that I can, nothing is left. But I can see them in my events page- is there ANYTHING I can do or its all just gone?

Thank you to anyone that can help with this.

3 Replies 3

Re: I deleted files and photos to free up space on Dropbox and now they are GONE from my iMac deskto

New member | Level 2

A similar thing happened to me. I hope someone can help.
My Documents and Downloads folders are just gone, they seem to be on Dropbox but I can't access to any of them, and they dissapeared from the menu tab on the left.
I'm waiting for everything to sync again, but I'm not sure what's gonna happen. 

Re: I deleted files and photos to free up space on Dropbox and now they are GONE from my iMac deskto

Dropboxer

Hello there, I'm sorry to hear about the situations!

In this case @MeganKT, I'm afraid there isn't much that I could suggest to restore the files that were deleted back in August. 

Since they fall outside the version history window, we wouldn't be able to restore them from our side.

The only option I could recommend would be to try and restore the files locally on your computer. There may be some third party apps that can assist you with this.

It seems, @MarioTriana, that you might be having a different issue.

Can you let me know if you've tried disabling the computer backup with the steps outlined towards the bottom of this article?

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Hallo.
I have a similar problem. Any files in my dropbox that I want to delete will be deleted from my computer, which is rubbish. Is there a way to simply delete them from Dropbox, because they are no longer needed there and taking up unnecessary space, without having to lose them completely? I have a heap of photos that were also sent there, automatically but I don't want them there.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?