cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I deleted my account and my files wouldn't open on my computer

Highlighted

I deleted my account and my files wouldn't open on my computer

Explorer | Level 3

I deleted my account in dropbox, when I did it the folders that I had synced no longer open in my PC, I created an account again thinking that the folders could be opened again but still not, all the information was lost. How do I recover those folders or restore my old account to try to recover those?

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: FOLDER LOSS

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @WILSON07, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community. 

Deleting your Dropbox account deletes all of your data from the website.

However, your files should be in the Dropbox folder on your computer. 

Could you let me know what was happening when you tried to open the files? Were you getting any error messages?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

When I installed Dropbox, three of my folders were synchronized: Desktop, Downloads and Documents. Then, I uninstalled the program and tried to open the files, but I got an error (from Windows) saying that they were moved or erased, so I reinstalled Dropbox and this time, the folders were moved to another folder named Dropbox old and all the files were there. As I wanted my files back to their original direction, I erased my account hoping that this could take back the files to the original position, but what happened was that all the files were erased and now the folders are empty. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us here @WILSON07!

Since you mentioned the Dropbox folder was renamed to Dropbox Old, then the app should have been syncing to a new Dropbox folder. The app shouldn't have any connection to the old folder in this case.

Just to clarify, did you manually reconnect the desktop app back to the old folder before deleting your account?

Are you able to see any of the missing files in your recycling bin at all?

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?