cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I deleted my account - will data I submitted to a group be maintained?

Highlighted

I deleted my account - will data I submitted to a group be maintained?

New member | Level 2

Experts,

Yesterday I got some good advice from superuser @Rich. Thank you.

Unfortuneatly, in proceeding with my initial problem I deleted my Dropbox account (I thought I was canceling membership in a group). I was a member of another group for several years previously. I contributed a considerable amount of difficult-to-recover data to that group and want to reestablish that data in my new account. Is it possible to do that?

Regards,

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: I deleted my account - will data I submitted to a group be maintained?

Dropboxer

If the files are still in the folder, then they should be safe, though it would be good to know if the old account is the owner of the shared folder, or another member of the group.

Regarding the forum, if you need to enter a different username, then it means you've signed into a different Dropbox account completely, as it uses your Dropbox account to login. Could you check that you're currently signed into the same account as before? 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @mike_7891, thanks for posting on the Community!

Were the files stored in a shared folder that you owned, or was it owned by another user? Were you part of a Dropbox Business team?

A link to the previous thread before you deleted the account will help me assist further!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

@Jay wrote:

Hi @mike_7891, thanks for posting on the Community!

Were the files stored in a shared folder that you owned, or was it owned by another user? Were you part of a Dropbox Business team?

A link to the previous thread before you deleted the account will help me assist further!

Thanks @Jay for your reply. 

The files were in a shared folder that was mine, but I don't know what the permissions were for other members. We are a small group and don't tend to meddle with other members' data. I don't think it is a Business Team.

"Progress' since my post: After I mistakenly deleted my Dropbox account I messaged my "old" group admin and he said my files were still present. After I established a new Dropbox account (using the same name and email address as the old) he sent me an invite to the old group and I am now again a member. [I am shown twice.] 

Will I be able to (for example) write over a file that I contributed under my previous membership using my new account? [The names and email addresses associated with the two accounts are exactly the same.]  Is it possible that the files I uploaded via my original account would eventually still be deleted? Should I copy all the files from my old membership to duplicates under the "new me?" If the account name and email address are the same, do I really have a separate new account? 

Unrelated basic question: every time I try to reply to a Community message or even click on the "Comminty" tab I get a message that says I need to "Complete [my] profile," starting by defining a username. I now have mike_789, mike_7891, and mike_7892, not to mention numerous badges associated with joining the Community and/or responding with each username. Obviously, I am missing some prompt that would allow me to login to the Community with an existing username. What am I doing wrong? I'm on Mac Mojave running a recent version of Chrome.

Regards,

Mike

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

@Jay wrote:

@Jay, Could you give me some detail on how to do this?

Unrelated: I was able to use Community username mike_7892 without any request to update my profile (!), but I think I still need to know how to establish a Community login with an established username (e. g. mike_789 or mike_7891).

Mike

Highlighted

Dropboxer

If the files are still in the folder, then they should be safe, though it would be good to know if the old account is the owner of the shared folder, or another member of the group.

Regarding the forum, if you need to enter a different username, then it means you've signed into a different Dropbox account completely, as it uses your Dropbox account to login. Could you check that you're currently signed into the same account as before? 

Jay

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?