cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I deleted my dropbox account and it deleted everything from my computer

I deleted my dropbox account and it deleted everything from my computer

MG101
New member | Level 2
So I deleted my account because it was downloading everything from my computer when I did not turn on automatic downloads, and then began opening everything and crashing my computer. I tried everything I could to get it to stop but nothing worked so in the end I had to delete my account.

When I deleted my account everything from my desktop disappeared and my trash emptied 5000 items, and I know I did not have 5000 items in there and now I have no files. I tried to find them or do a recovery but Finder won't even show a desktop option. 

I went to the support page to find an email but I just kept giving me forums that were not useful at all. I needed dropbox for work and now I don't have anything need for my job and I've lost everything else I have as well. Is there anything I can do or am I just at a loss and have lost basically everything?
3 Replies 3

Re: I deleted my dropbox account and it deleted everything from my computer

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hello @MG101, thanks for reaching out to us and sorry to hear about this situation. 

In general, Dropbox doesn't re-enable deleted accounts for security and privacy reasons.

However, since you mention that you had the desktop app installed, could you have a look and see if you can find a Dropbox folder on your computer? Have you tried searching for any of the files in question by name using your Finder/File Explorer?

Let me know of any updates, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

4Khenzo
New member | Level 2
No I can’t even access my downloads folder and i have no idea how to fix it because it’s connected to my oldaccount. There is no fix for this anywhere online and I use my computer to make music this is really bad I need a fix ASAP

Lusil
Dropboxer
Sorry to hear about your frustration, @4Khenzo

Generally, when you delete your account, the Dropbox folder becomes like any other folder on your computer that doesn't sync anymore. 

Just to make sure that we're on the same page, did you have computer backup enabled, which added your Downloads folder to your Dropbox folder?

Are you able to change the folder path back to the original location?

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    4Khenzo New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?