cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I did something wrong and lost all my files/folders

I did something wrong and lost all my files/folders

Explorer | Level 3

I have three networked computers and a phone.

Everything I upload to Dropbox will sync to all three computers.

I noticed that I somehow ended up with two dropbox folders on my desktop computer (on two different drives).  Naturally, only one of them synced with Dropbox.

So, I spent a long time yesterday, comparing the two folders and changed the Dropbox Folder Location to my preferred one (which was not the one it was syncing to).  It told me that it was performing the sync, so I thought all was well

Today, I took a photo with my phone and went to upload it to Dropbox.  It worked, but turned out that this photo is now the only file in Dropbox!  All the others have disappeared.  The folder is still intact on the desktop, but it doesn’t sync with Dropbox.  The laptop I used this morning to view the uploaded file, has now also has an empty Dropbox folder, but the other laptop still has them on the hard drive, but it is asking me to sign in to Dropbox.  Not game to do that, in case I lose the files there too.

I obviously did something wrong, but don’t know how to fix it.  Would copy/paste to dropbox work?  I just don’t want to end up in a bigger mess, possibly completely losing all of the files

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: I did something wrong and lost all my files/folders

Dropboxer

Any official Dropbox app that requires you to login is considered a device, so the mobile app would be a device.

Additionally, multiple computer logins on the same machine and using the same Dropbox account are also considered separate devices. 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Dropboxer

Hi @csutak40, thanks for joining the Community!

I'm sorry to hear about the missing files.Are you able to see any files on the Dropbox site itself?

If not, could you try restoring the files from the deleted files page to see if this helps?

Keep me posted!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

I was a bit reluctant using the deleted files, as I synced the two folders and couldn't remember which one was correct.  I ended up copying the filed from the hard drive back to dropbox.  Seems to be OK (fingers and toes crossed)

I have another question.  Does one's phone count as a device?  I have 3 computers which were all connected to DP, but now the third one wanted me to log in again, and when I did, it told me that I am only allowed 3 devices, unless I upgrade.  It did allow that computer before!

Dropboxer

Any official Dropbox app that requires you to login is considered a device, so the mobile app would be a device.

Additionally, multiple computer logins on the same machine and using the same Dropbox account are also considered separate devices. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Explorer | Level 3

I got an email TODAY:

Hi Judy,

You recently deleted 2421 files from your Dropbox account. If you want these files back, you can still restore them until 1/10/2020. After that, they’ll be permanently deleted.

I have copied all the files from the hard drive a few days ago, so no longer need the deleted files

Dropboxer

That's fine, this is just an email notifying you of the deletion, so it gives you 30 days to recover the files if this was an accident. You can disable this notification from here if you wish.

Let me know if you require any further assistance!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?