cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't have enough space to upload or download files from a folder that was shared with me

I don't have enough space to upload or download files from a folder that was shared with me

dmorrison
Explorer | Level 3

Someone shared some rough video files with me to edit into a video for them.

My company stopped using dropbox years ago in favor of Google Drive, so I have not added anything to DB for probably five years.

DB tells me that I cannot download the files that the customer shared with me unless I give them money. (But didn't the customer give them money to upload the files?

(Does DB REALLY think it is an honest biz model to charge people to upload and also to charge others to download the same file?)

I tried deleting all of the five-year-old files which I do not need anymore and I am still "over my limit." Many files that were shared with me five years ago are still clogging my space and I cannot remove them. DB says I can hide them, but that won't free up space.

Does anyone know how I can simply download the files that someone shared with me? or delete the existing old files so that I'll have enough space in my quota?

This is incredibly frustrating and reminds me of why I hate dropbox .

3 Replies 3

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Hey @dmorrison, thanks for joining our Community and I'm sorry for any frustration caused.

I'm afraid that shared folders take up space in the accounts of all the members that have edit permissions.

If you don't have enough space, a workaround would be for the owner of the folder to send you a link, which doesn't affect your Dropbox quota.

And if you'd like to upload files to their account, they can send you a file request.

Would you mind letting me know, though, why you're not able to delete files? Are you getting any error messages?

Keep me posted.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dmorrison
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Hannah,

So in order to free up space, I have to email everyone who has shared files with me and ask them to remove me from the edit list?

The workaround, having someone send a link, is view-only, though, correct? Does that mean I cannot download the files?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
No worries!

To remove a shared folder from your account without affecting the rest of the members, you can actually remove your access to it yourself.

That'll free up the space this shared folder is taking up.

As for the the shared link, it allows view access, so you won't be able to edit or delete anything, but you can still download files from it.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    dmorrison Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?