Hi -- I have a question about using dropbox with firefox. When I open my files in chrome, the open menu allows me to "open in word" with the desktop app, and my changes sync. However, in firefox, I only have the options to open in paper and to open in word online. Is it possible to use the open in word function with firefox?
Solved! Go to Solution.
In order to see "Open with" in Firefox, you must have installed Adobe Flash Player on your computer and enabled it in Firefox.
Here are the steps :
1. Download and install Adobe Flash player from this page :
Be carefull to uncheck others unwanted offers, we just want Adobe Flash. when its installed on your computer, close and restart Firefox.
2. Go to the addons page, type "about:addons" in the url bar and hit enter, just like this :
In the list, look for Shockwave Flash and Select Always Activate.
Done ! you are now able to open your files directly on Dropbox with four favorite Browser
indeed strange, also looked into this but didn't found a solution yet:
- IE is showing the same behavior
- in the help pages, I've noticed that Flash is needed.. installed that on IE/Firefox, but didn't do the trick
- found some stuff about changing the 'file types' associations in Windows, but didn't work for me on Win10
- tried loging in with username or with Google account
note that you must have an active local Dropbox install, where you're signed in with the same account
Don't know about the topic starter, but I've came across that page. The only thing I didn't check was the firewall, but it seems to me that Chrome should also have issues when the firewall is blocking those ports.
Can you confirm that the IE/Firefox versions should indeed have the complete 'open' function? (so the dropdown where you can choose between 'word online', 'word', 'file explorer') I was thinking it was maybe never built in for IE/Firefox?
Thanks for the feedback,
Must have something to do with Firefox not recognizing the desktop app.
- Desktop app NOT running, Chrome: also only the option to open in Word Online
- Desktop app running, Chrome works as expected
- IE this time actually behaved +- the same! However, I really needed to close the browser to allow it to recognize the desktop app, you could also try ctrl+F5
- sadly enough, Firefox was still strugling.. even when clearing stuff, relogin, ..
Does your desktop app run when starting windows?
The real question now is thus: why isn't Firefox detecting the Dropbox desktop app?
(note: I tried with enabling Dropbox at startup: Chrome/IE still work, Firefox doesn't)
Nothing to do with Office I guess, since the 'open in file explorer' option also isn't present.
Perhaps you can try a different version of Firefox (e.g. the portable app?), or by messing around with some settings there. My version: Firefox Quantum 63.0.1 64bit
The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.Sound good? Let's get started.
For more info on available support options, see this article.
If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!