cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't see the "Manage backup" option to disable the computer backup, what can I do?

I don't see the "Manage backup" option to disable the computer backup, what can I do?

chuchinh
Explorer | Level 4

I cannot turn off desktop sync.
I have read your instructions:

To turn off computer backup:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac). 
    2. Click your profile picture or initials.
    3. Click Preferences.
    4. Click the Backups tab.
    5. Click Manage backup
    6. Uncheck the folders you’d like to stop backing up to Dropbox or toggle all files to Off
    7. Click Stop anyway.
    8. Click Save.
      But i can't fint "5.Click Manage backup"
        It was really troublesome for me.

Help me plz. Thank you.
17 Replies 17

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hi @chuchinh, thanks for reaching out to us here!

If you're seeing the option "Set up" instead of "Manage backup" at the top of the Backups tab, then the backup has already been disabled on your device.

Can you try moving the contents of the Desktop/Downloads/Documents in the backup "My PC/Mac" folder in Dropbox back to the original locations on your computer?

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

chuchinh
Explorer | Level 4

Really troublesome for this new improvement of dropbox.
I can't turn off desktop sync. If you have a solution, please make a specific video tutorial. Because I see a lot of people who are having difficulties like me.
Thanks you

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for getting back to me here @chuchinh.

Did you try the steps I mentioned above to move the files out of the backup folder in Dropbox?

If you're getting any errors while doing this, please send a screenshot (excluding any personal info).

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mattdoherty91
New member | Level 2

Hello. I've just installed Dropbox on my iMac with the intention of using it as backup for my files (I don't want to drag and drop all of my folders into the Dropbox folder, I specifically want to use the backup feature).

The intsructions provided by Dropbox for this process are contradictory and do not work for me. 

It says here (https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/computer-backup) that I go to 'Preferences' then 'Backups' and I should see an option to 'Manage Backup'. 

However this article (https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/change-preferences#import) suggests that there are only three headings in the 'Preferences Pane', and these are 'Devices', 'Photos' and 'Screenshots'. Nothing about an actual computer backup. This is true of what I can see on my computer.

I've followed the steps in the troubleshooting guide included in that first article (moving the Dropbox folder to the right location, adding permissions, turning off iCloud etc.). But I've still not got a 'Manage Backup' option.

Has Dropbox removed the backup feature altogether?

Yours,

Matt.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @mattdoherty91, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

Could you send us a screenshot (without any personal info) of what the Backups tab shows?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Ajwa1
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, 

I am having a similar experience with some of the community above. I have tried to turn off computer backup following the steps you have linked multiple times. However, like many, I could not find the 'mange backup' tab under preferences-->backup. I understand this means that apparently the computer backup feature is already turned off; however, all of 'My PC' files are still synced and take up space on the dropbox storage. The solution above suggests moving files from dropbox to its original location, but I do not have the slightest idea on how to approach doing that. 

Thank you for your help. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Ajwa1, thanks for joining us on this thread. 

The Dropbox folder is like any other folder, so you can move the files like you would with any other item on your computer. 

If you want to have some peace of mind though, you can copy them from the Dropbox folder, paste them elsewhere, and then delete them from your Dropbox folder. 

Give me a nudge to let me know of any updates, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Ajwa1
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, Thank you for your reply. 

It took some time but I managed to move the unneeded files out of my dropbox folder. I'm not entirely sure what I did exactly, as I did a lot of moving around and undoing, but eventually got it to work. It looks like Dropbox no longer syncs new files, and even the green syncing symbol went away. Also, I checked on the dropbox website, the desktop app, and my phone, and it looks like storage has been cleared up. Thank you for your help. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

That's great to hear, @Ajwa1!

If anything else comes up, you know where to find us. 

In the meantime, I hope you have an enjoyable weekend!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    sightshooton Explorer | Level 3
    goprea New member | Level 2
    GabrielFebres Explorer | Level 3
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?