cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't want to delete files from my computer

I don't want to delete files from my computer

Explorer | Level 4

I don't know what just happened, but apparently there was an upgrade when I signed in and after it set up everything, I received a message that anytime I delete a file from dropbox, it will also be deleted from my computer.  I do not want this to occur.  How do I fix it to where it will be deleted from Dropbox only?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Initial Setup

Dropboxer

I completely understand, @dcg2122.

Thanks for sharing your feedback on this, it's very much appreciated!

If there's anything else you'd like to add to this, or any other questions, please don't hesitate to give me a nudge here - cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Dropboxer

Hi @dcg2122, thanks for contacting us!

This should be normal behavior, since deleting files from the Dropbox site will sync that deletion to your computer as well.

Could you let me know more details about what upgrade you were referring to in order to assist further? Thanks!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4
By upgrade,I mean the new look. Also I never had a computer folder in my Dropbox before. I am the treasurer for an organization. Each quarter I copy audit docs for the Trustees to a Dropbox folder, create a link and email them. I keep those files on my computer. I delete them out of the folder but I don't want to delete them from my computer.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info @dcg2122!

If you want to remove a file from Dropbox, but keep it on your computer, you can move the file out of the Dropbox folder to another location.

It will give you the prompt that the file will be deleted everywhere, but this refers to everywhere in Dropbox, not outside of Dropbox on your devices.

If you'd like to, you can test this with just one file first to give you some peace of mind, and let me know if you have any trouble or questions about this.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 4
I ended up uninstalling Dropbox from all my computers, stopped the sync and manually getting rid of all unwanted files in Dropbox. But now I can't get rid of the folder that contained the sync files. Dropbox was working great for me until the new app came out. Now for no more than I use it in the basic setting I think I will just use it online but would really like to get rid of that folder

Dropboxer

Could you clarify for me what kind of issue you're having trying to delete the folder you mentioned, @dcg2122?

By any chance, is it a computer backup folder named something like "My PC/Mac"?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 4
Yes

Dropboxer

In this case, the backup feature would need to be disabled before you can delete this folder from Dropbox.

Since you already uninstalled the apps on your computer, please make sure that the computer the backup was enabled on has been unlinked from your Dropbox account.

Once the device is unlinked, you should be able to go ahead and delete the backup folder.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 4
Ok and for the record the message that I received was that if you delete this from Dropbox it will be deleted from your computer. Prior to the new app I knew that delete everywhere meant from all the Dropbox folders so that message needs to be worded better because deleted from my computer means it's deleted from my hard drive not from Dropbox

Dropboxer

I completely understand, @dcg2122.

Thanks for sharing your feedback on this, it's very much appreciated!

If there's anything else you'd like to add to this, or any other questions, please don't hesitate to give me a nudge here - cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?