cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't want to sync my entire user folder to Dropbox

Highlighted

I don't want to sync my entire user folder to Dropbox

Explorer | Level 3

While installing an update to Dropbox on my Mac, for some reason it started syncing my entire user folder /users/myname. It's not clear to me how to stop this without losing my Mac user folder. Obviously, I want to keep that--I just don't want the entire works on Dropbox.

All I want to have on Dropbox is what I specifically place in the Dropbox folder on my Mac.

(I tried to search for help, but the first dozen or so results didn't address my problem, and with over 230K posts here, I didn't want to spend hours or days searching for an answer.)

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: I don't want to sync my entire user folder to Dropbox

Dropboxer

Hi @g1l1t1; welcome to our Community and thanks for using Dropbox!

It sounds like you enabled the computer backup feature so I'd recommend taking a look at the relevant Help Center article as you'll find all the information you need there I believe: 

Let me know if you have any more questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

OK, it looks like I got the backups disabled. This wasn't quite as easy as it should have been, but let's leave that for later.

Now, I'm left with the situation you can see here:Capto_Capture 2020-08-20_09-41-51_AM.png

If I understand this correctly, it's telling me that my Mac Desktop folder (and contents) and Documents folder (and contents) are being synced to Dropbox.

I don't want that.

I want to keep them and all their contents on my Mac but remove them from Dropbox.

But if I just delete them from Dropbox, they'll get deleted from my Mac as well.

What should I do?

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

@Walter, did you miss my reply? I wasn't sure what the easiest way to signal you was...

Highlighted

I don't want "Desktop" and "Documents" in Dropbox

Explorer | Level 3

I'm not sure how this happened, but if I understand this correctly, it's telling me that my Mac Desktop folder (and contents) and Documents folder (and contents) are being synced to Dropbox.

Capto_Capture 2020-08-20_09-41-51_AM.png

I don't want that.

I want to keep them and all their contents on my Mac but remove them from Dropbox.

If I just delete them from Dropbox, they'll get deleted from my Mac as well.

So as a trial, I've moved a few non-critical files and folders from Dropbox's instance of "Desktop" and "Documents", to the corresponding locations--my actual desktop and documents folders (the ones in my home directory), and also a large folder of recent downloads that was also in Dropbox.

Those did get removed from Dropbox and did show up then in their actual original locations.

But I'm not sure how safe this is, and it could get time-consuming. Is there a safer, better way to do this, than just moving everything from Dropbox's Desktop and Documents folder, to my actual, original folders?

(@Walter helped me earlier when backups for these folders somehow got turned on,  and with the suggestions he pointed me to, I eventually managed to get backups to Dropbox turned off...)

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @g1l1t1; apologies for the late reply.

I'm afraid I can't think of a better way to do this other than manually moving the files/folders that have been backed up in Dropbox.

Please keep me posted on your progress.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?