cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I downloaded the desktop app but it synced my computer files. How can I stop it and remove the app?

Highlighted

I downloaded the desktop app but it synced my computer files. How can I stop it and remove the app?

New member | Level 2

Had DB for years. 6-8 files holding illustration levels of completion over time. Added a few lately. Wanted to transfer one back from DB. FOOLISHLY downloaded their new (to me) app. Since i've been away. MUCH HAS CHANGED. I have no idea what or where these new "features" are for and dont care. While downloading the app, the installer pulled all my computer backup MBs into dropbox, completely filling my free MBlimit subscription. I tried to eliminate one file in dropbox only to see it gone from my own machine. Now DB wont let me sync to get that file back into my comp unless i buy more space first. I know DB has evolved well past what i understand. I'd like to get my files back into my comp , resync to get the files trapped, and then discontinue dropbox. its not for me any longer. Can anyone direct me in how to do this? I want to bring my files home and discontinue my association with DB , honestly this is in everyones best interest. Its SO far beyond me now. HELP ME -!

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: i just want my files back. WAY over my head. Need to sync to get files back. WAY beyond me HELP

Explorer | Level 3

Did you try logging onto the website? Maybe you can find your files there as it doesn't require syncing.

Also has a section for recently deleted files.

Highlighted

Re: i just want my files back. WAY over my head. Need to sync to get files back. WAY beyond me HELP

Dropboxer

Hey there @danny74, just jumping in here!

You can disable the computer backup feature with the steps outlined towards the bottom of this article.

Once the backup is disabled, you can move the files currently within the backup folder within Dropbox back to their original locations on your computer.

Moving these files back to their original locations on your computer will move them out of Dropbox and free up space in your account to allow you to restore the deleted file.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any trouble with this!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?