cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I get error message "Couldn't load file"

I get error message "Couldn't load file"

Peva
Explorer | Level 3

I am trying to upload a file to DropBox from my iPhone. I get an error message "Couldn't load file, try again later". Two hours later, same thing. Have good cellular and WiFi connection, phone is fully charged, I have plenty of space on my Dropbox account, etc. Originally was trying to upload large video file, but get same error message trying to upload small pdf file.

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II

Do you have enough quota to do that? 

www.dropbox.com/account/plan ?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Peva
Explorer | Level 3
Thank you, Mark. I have 1.9GB unused on my 2.25GB DropBox account. I get the same message whether trying to upload a 76MB video file or a 275kB pdf.

Peva
Explorer | Level 3
UPDATE:
I just now tried uploading the same video file from my Windows pc, and it worked without a problem (I've never had a problem in the past uploading from my pc to DropBox).

This was the first time trying to upload from my iPhone to DropBox (using the DropBox app), and I want to be doing that routinely in the future - but so far, that's a big fail.

I checked my iPhone settings to make sure that it's set for DropBox to have access to "all photos", and it is, so that's not the problem.

So, I would appreciate suggestions on determining why I can't upload from my iPhone to DropBox, because, again, I can upload from my Windows pc with no problem.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Peva, thanks for all the info you’ve provided so far!

Can you also let me know how much free space you have currently on your mobile phone? 

Kindly note that the Dropbox app needs at least 500MB of free space in order to successfully upload your files to your account.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Peva
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Nancy. I have only used 49GB of 256GB on my brand new iPhone 13 Pro - the 49GB is mostly stuff transferred over from my old phone - so memory is not a problem.

I actually figured out the problem: Long story short - the DropBox app that transferred over from my old phone was an older revision. I didn't know if that was the problem, but I uninstalled it and installed the latest - and BOOM! - it worked perfectly. It probably didn't work on the old phone either - I had only used it in my PC previously, and this was my first attempt on using DropBox on either phone.

I was surprised that the app didn't automatically update itself. I just turned on my old phone to check the version - it's at 278.2.2. In new phone it is at 290.2.2. So either the version I had was too old or it got corrupted during the phone transfer.

EDIT: Ignore the below. I started a new thread here asking about how the app updates its revision level: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Does-DropBox-iPhone-app-automatically-...

Ignore the below - I started a new thread for the revision update question.
SO, TO FINISH UP THIS THREAD:
Does DropBox not either automatically update or not notify when an update is available? (When I say "update" here, I don't mean sync my files - I mean update the app to the latest revision.) I checked settings in the phone and in the app itself, and I don't see any mention of DropBox update options.

Thanks for the help!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the updates, @Peva, and I’m very glad to hear you were able to sort this out! 

Just like @Mark mentioned on the other thread, the Dropbox app should be updating automatically to the newest app version. 

If there’s something else you need, you can always give me a nudge!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Peva Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?