cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you're up against the clock to get holiday ready, so here are some tips on how to use Dropbox to make your prep easy! Check them out!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a file that won't appear in sequential order. Any ideas why?

I have a file that won't appear in sequential order. Any ideas why?

katieh1
New member | Level 2

I added a file to a folder and can't get it to appear in sequential order.  I've tried checking all files, then list view, then ascending.  I've tried removing it and putting it back.  The other files I added have all ended up in the right place...but this one file still appears out of order in non-alphabetical and numberical order, at the top of the list, on top of a folder.  Is there a way to fix this?  Thanks in advance for your help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: files not ordering

katieh1
New member | Level 2

Discovered what the problem was.  A space in front of the file name.  Good to know if you want to move a file to the top of the list...

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

What's the name of the file, and its file type? Can you provide a screenshot showing what's happening, being sure to mask any personal information.

katieh1
New member | Level 2

Hi Rich - Thank you for your offer to help.  Unfortunately, I can't show you a screenshot, I'm sorry, as all my files must be kept confidential.  Hopefully, this explanation will suffice.  The folder contains documents names with three capital letters and then a space and then a number, all pdfs.  The folder also contains a subfolder.  

Right now, the files are ordered like this:

ABC 256.pdf

folder

ABC 22.pdf

ABC 23.pdf

etc.

katieh1
New member | Level 2

Discovered what the problem was.  A space in front of the file name.  Good to know if you want to move a file to the top of the list...

View solution in original post

Re: I have a file that won't appear in sequential order. Any ideas why?

Emmet
Community Manager

Test Reply

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Emmet Community Manager
    katieh1 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?