cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I have a question about deleting folders and files that are shared.

Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

sorry, I am sure this is a very easy problem, but I can't seem to find a straightforward answer...

If I own a folder:

- If i delete a file within that folder, I can decide whether other people can keep a copy - but the file won't sync back to my dropbox (and the copy in other people's dropbox won't sync)

- If someone else delete a file within that folder, does it still show in my dropbox? (and therefore count against my storage)

==> basically, is the owner of the folder the only person that can delete a file for it to be deleted on all shared accounts?

Thanks,

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: I have a question about deleting folders and files that are shared.

Super User
Super User

Whether the owner or any member of the shared folder (with Can edit permission) deletes a file, the file is removed from everyone's acccount. There is no way to delete a file from owner's account and keep it in others' account. The folders are in sync, always updated. 

You can share a folder with Can view permission. In that case others won't be able to delete or add/edit contains (but can view, download and comment). 

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?