cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a question about sharing files with others. Can you help?

I have a question about sharing files with others. Can you help?

Jelly
Helpful | Level 5

Hi everyone,

I want to share files with a friend that are more than 5MB. I was considering to upgrade my account to 1TB. However, would my friend need to upgrade his/her account as well? or it is enough when one person has enough space?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sharing files

Jelly
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you! that helps a lot.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II

I'm assuming you mean 5GB and not 5MB. A 5MB file wouldn't be a problem at all because a Basic (i.e. free) Dropbox account has 2GB of space by default.

In order for someone to be able to accept a shared folder, they need to have enough available space in their account. This means that a person with a Basic account will not be able to accept a shared folder that's more than 2GB (assuming they haven't increased their space through referrals and other promotions).

Walter
Dropboxer

Depends on how exactly you'd like share these files to begin with @Jelly!

Let me clarify that, in general, your Dropbox quota is calculated based on the total contents of your Dropbox, which includes shared folders. A Dropbox account can't sync more than its quota, so a 2 GB account can't sync more than 2 GB, including the space taken up by shared folders. Because every member of a shared folder can add and modify the files in the shared folder, the shared folder takes up space in each member's account. This policy exists to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited space by stacking Basic accounts and shared folders.

If, on one hand, you'd like to share a folder without impacting the recipient's quota, you can share a link to the folder, instead.  

If, on the other hand, you'd like others to upload files to your Dropbox account without impacting their own quota, you can send a file request.

I hope this information helps and please let me know if you have any further questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jelly
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you! that helps a lot.

View solution in original post

Sharing limit question

maria9999
New member | Level 2

I have 30 GB of storage in my account. If I make a folder that is 5 GB total, and share it with someone who only has a basic dropbox account (2GB), will they be able to view all 5 GB of the file contents?

Re: Sharing limit question

Lori
Dropboxer
Hi @maria9999, thanks for posting today! 

A shared folder takes space on both the sender's account, and also the recipients.

If you directly share the folder, they won't be able to add it to their account due to the lack of space. 

However, you can always use a shared link, which in this case would allow them to view the contents. 

I hope this clarifies things.

Lori
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

reply to Lori

maria9999
New member | Level 2

Thank you for your reply Lori! (I could not press reply on the actual thread)

If I use a "shared link" to send photos to someone who only has a basic account, will they be able to view and DOWNLOAD their own copies of the files?

Basically I have a larger account 30GB and want to send some folders of photos to my family (approx 20 GB Folder)  for them to download but they will all only have dropbox basic (2GB)

Re: reply to Lori

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @maria9999, anyone can open a shared link, even users without a Dropbox account. That way, they can download the contents of the shared link to the computer.

I'd recommend not sharing the parent folder if there are more than 20 GB or 10,000 files in the folder, since the resulting zip file won't download from the site. You can instead share links to some of the folders inside, so they can download them in batches.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    maria9999 New member | Level 2
    Lori Dropboxer
    Jelly Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?