cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unlinking My PC

I have a question about unlinking my computer. Can you help?

groupdivepics
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When I unlink my PC app from the account can I delete the files on my PC and not loose them in my drop box account... also if I relink my PC will it try to mirror my PC and delete the files in my account?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Of course you can @groupdivepics!

When you want to make permanent changes to your computer that do not sync back to the website you need to unlink the computer first as you mentioned.  Follow these steps to unlink a computer:

1) Right-click the Dropbox icon in the system tray, or menu bar, by the clock
2) Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select 'Preferences' > 'Account'
3) Click the 'Unlink' button
4) Afterward, Dropbox will prompt you to re-register. Quit!

You can now safely move or delete files in the Dropbox folder and not affect anything else.

Note that the Dropbox folder itself is still there and should you relink to a different Dropbox account, the application will detect that another Dropbox folder already exists on the computer, and will give you two options: 'Choose Another Location' or 'Install'.

If you want your new Dropbox folder to be in a location different than your existing folder, click on 'Choose Another Location'.

If you want your new Dropbox folder to be in the same location as your existing one, click on 'Install'. This will rename the existing Dropbox folder to 'Dropbox (Old)' and will create a new Dropbox folder for the account you’re currently linking. 

Let me know if you have any more questions please.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Of course you can @groupdivepics!

When you want to make permanent changes to your computer that do not sync back to the website you need to unlink the computer first as you mentioned.  Follow these steps to unlink a computer:

1) Right-click the Dropbox icon in the system tray, or menu bar, by the clock
2) Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select 'Preferences' > 'Account'
3) Click the 'Unlink' button
4) Afterward, Dropbox will prompt you to re-register. Quit!

You can now safely move or delete files in the Dropbox folder and not affect anything else.

Note that the Dropbox folder itself is still there and should you relink to a different Dropbox account, the application will detect that another Dropbox folder already exists on the computer, and will give you two options: 'Choose Another Location' or 'Install'.

If you want your new Dropbox folder to be in a location different than your existing folder, click on 'Choose Another Location'.

If you want your new Dropbox folder to be in the same location as your existing one, click on 'Install'. This will rename the existing Dropbox folder to 'Dropbox (Old)' and will create a new Dropbox folder for the account you’re currently linking. 

Let me know if you have any more questions please.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Reyofsun
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hi Walter! So just to confirm on my end- I deleted my Dropbox folder on my PC while offline and then was concerned that it would delete everything off the cloud. I switched off my laptop and unlinked the pc from syncing. If I turn my PC back on and connect to WiFi, can I be assured that it will not delete anything from the cloud?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Reyofsun,

To be sure that everything will be fine, before turn the PC on, from some other device go in your https://www.dropbox.com/account/security and unlink the PC. :wink: After that everything is safe.

Good luck.

Reyofsun
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thanks so much!!

Tawasha
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Can you unlink Dropbox from your pc using your phone

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Tawasha,

The best way unlink any device is the device itself, when possible. Otherwise you can disconnect/unlink every one device connected to your account using any device where you can login your Dropbox account. Just go to your security page (scroll to Devices) and press corresponding 'X' sign of every one connection you want to break. :wink: That's it.

Hope this helps.

Need more support?