Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I have a shared folder that's taking up space on my account. What can I do?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have a Read Only access to a shared folder and it fills up my Dropbox. Is there any way I can delete files in the share folder without deleting for other members? And what will happen when the shared folder fills up my Dropbox completly?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Shared folder

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @Stim, thanks for reaching out - I'd be more than happy to help!

Since you have view-only access, you won't be able to make any changes to the files, including deleting them. 

If you run out of storage, syncing will stop and you won't be able to add new files. You can find more info about this here

For this reason, I'd recommend removing yourself from the shared folder and asking the user who added you to send you a shared link to it, instead. 

That way, you'll still be able to view the contents of the folder and it won't take up space on your account. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @Stim, thanks for reaching out - I'd be more than happy to help!

Since you have view-only access, you won't be able to make any changes to the files, including deleting them. 

If you run out of storage, syncing will stop and you won't be able to add new files. You can find more info about this here

For this reason, I'd recommend removing yourself from the shared folder and asking the user who added you to send you a shared link to it, instead. 

That way, you'll still be able to view the contents of the folder and it won't take up space on your account. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

That worked! Thanks a lot!!

Stim

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Glad I could help, @Stim

Let me know if you have any other questions in the future. 

Have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I'm having the same issue discussed here, however I have removed myself from the shared list as you have suggested (even received "you have been removed from this folder" message) and the folder remains.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Marcus

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@marcusforbesjen wrote:

... I have removed myself from the shared list as you have suggested (even received "you have been removed from this folder" message) and the folder remains.

Did you remember to uncheck the Keep a copy of this folder option? If you left it checked, the folder would remain in your Dropbox, but it wouldn't be linked to the other members anymore. If that's the case, you can simply delete the folder now.

44691a13d0dc10cfc7e5b518dec73de9.png

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?