cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I have an account to share between a few devices but one is now showing "Access token not valid".

Explorer | Level 3

I have a free Dropbox account which I use to share a few photographs between my laptop, my iPad & my wife's iPad.   Suddenly (on my laptop only) I get a message "Access token not valid".  What the hell does this mean ?

11 Replies 11
Highlighted

Re: I have a free Drpbox account which I use to share a few photographs between devices

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @annoyed4, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Would you mind letting me know exactly where you're seeing this error message? If possible, please send along a screenshot of this as the visual is always helpful.

Also, are you taking any specific action when you get this error message? 

If the error is coming from the desktop app then please let me know which version you're using.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: I have a free Drpbox account which I use to share a few photographs between devices

Explorer | Level 3

Basically, I'm just trying to access Dropbox on my laptop.  If I click on the Dropbox icon on my task bar, nothing happens at all.  If I go down to an app level, the error message flashes up very briefly before verything goes blank.

I have no idea what version I am using although, bizzarely, Dropbox (when working !) looks different depending on whether I have accessed it from the task bar or app.

All very confusing and frustrating.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @annoyed4, I just wanted to jump in and ask if you've tried a simple reinstall of the desktop app by any chance? 

If possible, could you send us a screenshot (without any personal info) of what the desktop app looks like when it's running, so that we can have a better visual of it as well? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi there.  Having very limited technical knowledge, I have not dared to reinstall the software for fear of losing all the photos stored there.

I run Windows 8.1. and am told that I cannot take screen shots as I do not have a clipboard.  I do, however, attach two photographs - the first shows access from the desktop icon (which, bizarrely, is currently working again) and the second shows access from the app which comes up briefly, displays the error message, and then reverts to the desktop.

All highly confusing.

IMG_0060.JPGIMG_0063.JPG

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshots there @annoyed4!

The app from the second screenshot that you sent there is the Dropbox for S mode app that you would have downloaded/installed from the Microsoft Store, correct?

For this app, it would be best if the device was running in S mode, which you can find out more about here.

This S mode app works more like the mobile app would though as it's not associated with the desktop app for computers, which is the app syncing your Dropbox folder in your first screenshot.

The desktop app for computers can be accessed through the Dropbox icon in your system tray. We can see that it's currently running at the moment as it's showing the sync icons next to your files.

Most likely, the desktop app is set to start automatically when your device is started.

Hope this helps!

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your message although my almost total ignorance about IT matters makes it difficult to reply.

I think that I can safely say that I have never downloaded Dropbox for S Mode - as I understand it, this is associated with Windows 10 (I run Windows 8.1) and with Microsoft Edge (I have to use Firefox as my browser as both Chrome and Edge makes my laptop crash !)

I understand nothing about mobile apps, syncing, system tray or sync icons - not a language I have ever learned (probably showing my age there).  I am reasonably sure that Dropbox is not set to start automatically as I have to double-click (sometimes more than once) on the desktop to make it fire up.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Okay, no problem at all @annoyed4, I'll try my best to clear up what I mentioned previously!

What I would like to ask you though is which view do you prefer to use when using Dropbox on your computer?

From the left screenshot, this Dropbox folder will act like any other folder on your computer. This will mean that you can open the files from this folder, edit them and save them as normal. 

Otherwise, do you prefer to view your files on your computer using this app view from the right screenshot?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I would prefer to use the "desktop" view which has been there for ages. The "app" view is very new - could it have been imposed on me as part of an automatic Windows update ?

In passing, even the desktop version has ceased opening again -  all fine on the iPads but refusing to open on my laptop.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for clarifying that for me @annoyed4!

In this case, I would suggest uninstalling the Dropbox app for S mode from your computer. You can follow the normal steps for uninstalling a program and it should be listed as the app for S mode.

If it doesn't remove the shortcut that you're currently using that opens this app, then you can delete it manually and create a new shortcut just for the Dropbox folder.

You should be able to do this by right clicking the Dropbox folder in your File Explorer, and from the menu choosing "Create Shortcut".

Since you're seeing the sync icons on your Dropbox files, the desktop app for the computer seems to be running fine on your device. If you'd like to have a look into some of the settings of this app to get a little more familiar with it, I can suggest checking out this article.

However, from what you mentioned, are you no longer seeing these green tick sync icons within the Dropbox folder?

I'm here if you have any further questions!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?