cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rif.: Files not Syncing

I have an issue with some files taking forever to sync. Help!

Pacific
Helpful | Level 5

A user has taken posession of a new(ish) laptop. It's a HP Elitebook 820 64bit with an i5 and 4GB of RAM. It's running Win7. Users account was synced late Friday evening, so the machine was left over the weekend to complete. Of the 65,000 files, roughly 20,000 had installed by this morning (Monday). I have removed the bandwith limits and unselected folders containing photos and files not required by the user. Anti virus and Windows Firewall are both off. Dropbox has been removed and re-installed. All other company Dropbox accounts are behaving normally. Our version of Dropbox is 13.4.21. Any suggestions will be greatfully received.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Pacific
Helpful | Level 5

Hi guys,

Many thanks for the advice. Time won in the end! after nearly 50 hours, the users Dropbox has Synced entirely! We have roughly 160GB to download, but it has now been resolved.

Thanks again!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Vicky
Dropboxer
Hi there,

Do you see any errors or stuck status on the Dropbox desktop application?
Also, please feel free to submit a ticket on Dropbox.com/support so we can investigate this further.

Thanks,
Vicky

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! 🙂

Re: Files not Syncing

Alexis G.1
Super User

@Pacific wrote:

A user has taken posession of a new(ish) laptop. It's a HP Elitebook 820 64bit with an i5 and 4GB of RAM. It's running Win7. Users account was synced late Friday evening, so the machine was left over the weekend to complete. Of the 65,000 files, roughly 20,000 had installed by this morning (Monday). I have removed the bandwith limits and unselected folders containing photos and files not required by the user. Anti virus and Windows Firewall are both off. Dropbox has been removed and re-installed. All other company Dropbox accounts are behaving normally. Our version of Dropbox is 13.4.21. Any suggestions will be greatfully received.

Thanks

Why you just don't (a) close Dropbox, then (b) copy the Dropbox Data from another PC to the Elitebook with issues and then (c) Launch Dropbox.

Dropbox will compare existing data in the Dropbox folder with Dropbox content in the cloud and you will be in sync in minutes!

No files needs to be downloaded. Dropbox will only INDEX the content by checking checksum data and other parameters.

Pacific
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Vicky,

I have raised a ticket, I'm awaiting a response from Dropbox. There is no hang, or errors on screen, it is just taking ages. I downloaded our Dropbox to another user a weeks or so ago, andf it was completed within 2hours. This has been nearly 6 for the same amount of files, and there are still thousands to go.

Many thanks

Alexis G.1
Super User

@Pacific wrote:

Hi Vicky,

I have raised a ticket, I'm awaiting a response from Dropbox. There is no hang, or errors on screen, it is just taking ages. I downloaded our Dropbox to another user a weeks or so ago, andf it was completed within 2hours. This has been nearly 6 for the same amount of files, and there are still thousands to go.

Many thanks

Perhaps a firewall or AV issue.

The Dropbox icon show status as well. This can help you to check what's happening.

But my previous post is a good workaround for you (locally copy the data and then SYNC!)

Pacific
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Alexis,

Firewall and anti virus are both switched off thank you. The number of files to download are decresing, it's just the time it is taking to to do it. I set up another user not too long ago and it was much faster than this. All other users Dropbox are behaving normally. I am able to update folders etc. and they respond as you'd expect. If it continues, I make follow your lead and download the contents. I just need to find an XDD that I can use...

Alexis G.1
Super User

@Pacific wrote:

Hi Alexis,

Firewall and anti virus are both switched off thank you. The number of files to download are decresing, it's just the time it is taking to to do it. I set up another user not too long ago and it was much faster than this. All other users Dropbox are behaving normally. I am able to update folders etc. and they respond as you'd expect. If it continues, I make follow your lead and download the contents. I just need to find an XDD that I can use...

How much data you have on Dropbox? How many MB/GB?

How fast is your internet Speed?

How many people share the same Internet connection?

And remember you can always use LAN Sync to have even better Sync Speed!

Pacific
Helpful | Level 5

Hi guys,

Many thanks for the advice. Time won in the end! after nearly 50 hours, the users Dropbox has Synced entirely! We have roughly 160GB to download, but it has now been resolved.

Thanks again!

View solution in original post

Alexis G.1
Super User

@Pacific wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks again!

Great, good news!

In the future, if the PC is in the same LAN with other PCs with the same Dropbox account, remember you can use LAN SYNC to avoid Dropbox to download all this huge ammount of data from Internet.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Need more support?