cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have some feedback about the new Dropbox desktop app.

I have some feedback about the new Dropbox desktop app.

Helpful | Level 7

I'd like to provide some user feedback: I hate the new Dropbox app.

For years, Dropbox was a lean and simple tool that did one thing really well.  That's why I used it.  More recently, the product manager of this app has been making feature decisions that are hostile to my needs.

First they took away the handy Public Folder feature, ignoring the outcry from hundreds of users, and rendering hundreds of thousands of internet links dead in the process.  They replaced it with a new link sharing mechanism that's clearly part of an acquisitions strategy intended to drive new users to adopt their platform (I already pay you; stop monetizing my content!).

My notifications area in the Dropbox client used to just show me recently synced files.  Now it's littered with advertisements and marketing content from Dropbox, even though all the relevant communication preferences are disabled (someone from Support confirmed that).

And now they're branching out into things that have zero interest to me - e.g. Paper, and bloated client-side features that have little to do with syncing my files.

Meanwhile they still haven't managed to fix the really annoying side effect their software causes in Explorer when renaming a new folder that happens to be syncing.  Even though it's been present for more than a decade now, reported by several people, and impacts me on a regular basis.

Does anyone else share these frustrations or is it just me?

10 Replies 10

Day-One user, I'm so desapointed by Dropbox

Helpful | Level 6

Hello,

A little feedback from a user, using Dropbox since the begining.

At the begining the GREAT idea was to sync a folder in the cloud. It was really fast and efficient. So cool that all GAFAM jump to the same concept. A kind of RSync in the cloud.

Nowdays, Dropbox has shift it's business to compete with others "cloud collaboration tools". But why ? I worked in this area for 10 years and I know it easy to provide online tools whereas it's hard to provides file sync tool. Dropbox shoot it's leg. For online collaboration tool I have Microsoft and/or Google ecosystem with wide range of tools like ... Android.

And the heart of DropBox is dead, I just reinstall a new shiny computer:

• Dropbox take +50% of a Core-i7 10gen
  • Dropbox use a Huge amount of memory
  • Syncing 100K files / 30Go takes days ... 

And it 's worst every year

• I stop SmartSync feature, because it's cool for single office documents or video but not for project files
  • File revision used to be great, now it's only work well for single files not projects
  • Wiki and online collaboration tools ... it's not dropbox
  • Why providing TeraBytes of data if you can't handle 500K files ?

I don't know if it's StakeHolder who lack of vision and kill it. The COVID-19 will accelerate the cloud wars there is so many players on that area.

I really hope a new startup will rise to provide again the value proposition of Dropbox years ago: You have a folder it's keep in sync fast and efficient between all computers and the cloud. Fullstop.

(Yes because GoogleDrive, OneDrive ... are very slow too compared to DropBox at the begining)

New dropbox interface is terrible

New member | Level 2

Hello!

I want to add my voice to those who have complained about the new dropbox interface. Motivated by (I believe), the need to monetize dropbox, which Dropbox has every right to do of course, the dropbox designers have created an interface which is unlike any other file management interface I am aware of. It is counter-intutitive, clumsy and I end spending too much time clicking on wrong buttons to accomplish a simple task. You have taken what was a simple interface, (and its elegance rested in its simplicity), and almost made it unusable.

Whereas I used to recommend Dropbox to everybody and their grandparents, I find myself now giving it a "meh" with the comment that "it used to be great, but they've made it complicated. If you are comfortable with google drive or whatever, stick with it."

Please consider asking your users if your interface works or not, and listen to them. If the majority say its great, then stick with it. But if not, I beg you to go back to simplicity.

BTW, I am NOT a complainer by nature at all. I resist doing so here, and in life in general. But its sad for me to see these changes, like losing a good ole friend.

Pradhan

Re: Hate the new app

Dropboxer

Hello @RichardK26, thanks for sharing this with us here!

We always appreciate the feedback that you provide us here as this helps us to understand how Dropbox fits in and affects your daily workflow.

As you mentioned that you dislike using the new desktop app, have you tried changing the settings in the desktop app preferences to use only your File Explorer as outlined here?

Also, if you'd like to see your recently synced files you should be able to click on the "Recents" tab after clicking the Dropbox icon in your system tray. Does this not show you the correct files?

Would you mind letting me know a little more about the preferences that you disabled for the notifications? This will just help me understand a little better to note down some more detailed feedback.

If there are notifications that you don't want to see in the "Notifications" tab there, can you dismiss them from the "..." next to the entry?

Finally, the thread you linked regarding renamed files being reselected once synced, this is something that I'm checking on. Please feel free to add in some details for me there such as your current OS and desktop app version.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 7

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing those tips.

I did set my preferences to use only File Explorer, as soon as I noticed that toggle was introduced.  Screenshots of my relevant settings are at the bottom of this post.  Note on the Sync tab (which I didn't include) I use a custom Dropbox folder location.

The Recents tab shows recently synchronized files.  A little more information density would be nice (e.g. being able to see more than 6-8 files without scrolling).  It also shows how many files are synching, but unfortunately doesn't identify which ones they are (except in the trivial case when just one file is in progress).

Is there any way to make Recents always be the default tab?  I never use the other two.

Here's what I mean about being spammed with unsolicited marketing:

My point is I don't want to see these at all.  Even though I've disabled such notifications, I still get them.  Telling me to simply use the "..." to dismiss them isn't a good solution.  My attention is a valuable resource, and every time you interrupt it or clutter it with things I'm not interested in it hurts my workflow and cheapens my opinion of your service.  Your company needs to respect my instructions and exercise more diligence over what notifications you deem important enough to override my settings.  Marketing fluff about Slack, Zoom and mobile don't make the cut.

In fairness I should acknowledge some of these (e.g. the one from 7 months ago) may have been pushed before I discovered and turned off the relevant settings.

I'm grateful for anything you can do to get some love from engineers / QA on the renaming issue.  I suspect the problem may have to do with a focus change in Explorer when the Dropbox overlay gets updated after the file undergoing rename finishes synching, but I'm not certain.  It's an intermittent issue and I'm not sure how to reliably reproduce it.  I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, and I've seen it on two PC's.  One thing I really appreciate is Dropbox continuing to support this OS even though Microsoft is not.  (I would sooner stop being a Dropbox customer than "upgrade" to Windows 10).  Let me know if there's anything I can do to help your efforts - you'd be my Dropbox employee hero if you could effect a fix!

EDIT: Two other questions while I've got you here (hope you don't mind:disappointed face:

Is there a manual way to trigger photos to upload when my Android battery is low?

Is there a modern equivalent to Votebox where users can suggest and express support for new features?

And finally, Notifications settings on the website:

Dropboxer

Thanks for all the info you've provided here @RichardK26!

When you click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray, it should open the last tab that you viewed. However, if you restart your device or relaunch the desktop app, then it would open by default the Notifications tab first.

Thanks for the additional details you provided too about the Recents tab regarding the files shown there.

The notifications that you've received too should be ones that you'll only receive once, it could be that they all came at the same time as the new update. I understand that you'd like more options though to manage what type of notifications you receive though.

For the files being reselected when renamed, what others have reported is that this occurs when the file that has been renamed has finished syncing it gets reselected.

So for example, if you're renaming multiple files and using the tab key to jump to renaming the next file, once the previous rename has synced it will reselect that file and interrupt the rename you were in the process of doing.

I don't have any updates on this yet but I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on the main thread we have for this when I do.

Now, for your additional question can you just clarify for me if you're using the automatic camera uploads from your mobile? Or are you connecting your phone to your computer to upload them through?

Finally, I'd suggest checking out our dedicated area of the forum "Share an Idea" where you can do just that! You can find suggestions others have made and show your support by upvoting them, or post your own ideas.

Hope this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 7

>>Now, for your additional question can you just clarify for me if you're using the automatic camera uploads from your mobile?<<

That's correct.  It pauses when the battery gets below a certain threshold (25%?), but oftentimes that's exactly when I want it to upload.  A way to manually override would be great.

Dropboxer

Thanks for clarifying that @RichardK26!

You should be able to change the battery threshold through the mobile app settings. You can access this by:

1. Opening the Dropbox mobile app.
  2. Tap the menu icon in the top left.
  3. Tap "Settings".
  4. Under "Camera Uploads" you should see the option to decide what battery percentage to upload at.

The minimum you should be able to adjust this to would be 10%, but hopefully this will be better than the current 25% it's set at.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

New member | Level 2

I second Richard's post.

The main reason why people use dropbox, as opposed to other collaboration tools, is that it allows us to work directly in our own folders, with all the syncing etc done behind the scene. But the desktop app is a total reversal of this advantage. Please assure us, paying users, that the original dropbox interface is here to stay.

Dropboxer

Thanks for joining the topic @calvin6!

The new interface is just an addition to the desktop app's syncing function. It allows you to have a more consistent look across all platforms like the website and mobile app if you'd like to.

However, this is completely optional and you can disable this by just making sure that the default for opening your Dropbox files is set to your default browser as outlined here.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?