cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have some syncing problems with WD MyCloud EX2 nasbox app

I have some syncing problems with WD MyCloud EX2 nasbox app

Brian D.50
New member | Level 1

I have a WD MyCloud EX2 nas drive and the dropbox cloud syncing app doesn't work.  I've been through troubleshooting with WD and they tell me that it is a problem with the dropbox app, not their system or hardware.  The app loads, I can sign in, but it simply repeats the message "dropbox wants to access your folders" , hit ok, and it goes back to the sign in button. And so round and around.

Is this a recognised bug, is there a work around or a setting that I need to change to get the nas to sync with dropbox?

14 Replies 14

Rich
Super User II

You'll need to continue working with HP on this I'm afraid. Dropbox wouldn't have created the app on that device; HP would have, using the Dropbox API. Only they can provide support for it.

Brian D.50
New member | Level 1

Thanks, but it still leaves me stuck.  Is this a problem that others have reported?

Rich
Super User II

Not that I've seen, no, at least not on the HP drives. There's another NAS with a Dropbox problem but the issue is in their app and the way it connects to Dropbox (I think they were using an older connection method that Dropbox no longer permits). It's possible (probable?) that it's the same problem for your HP NAS, but since HP would have been the ones to write the app for it, only they can support/fix it.

salukitd
Collaborator | Level 8

I'm having the same problem.  Western Digital (WD, not HP) says it is a problem with Dropbox, Dropbox says it is a problem with the Drive.  So I'm [censored].

Rich
Super User II

So I'm [censored].

First, watch your language here please. This is a public forum and language such as that could get your posts deleted or your account banned. Thank you.

Western Digital (WD, not HP) says it is a problem with Dropbox, Dropbox says it is a problem with the Drive.

It's most definitely an HP problem. The app that syncs the drive uses the Dropbox API, but it was created by HP. Dropbox cannot support something that was created by HP. Changes occur in the API over time, and developers are notified if something will change that will prevent their app from working. Most likely, that's what happened here, and HP did nothing about it. It happened to another NAS manufacturer that failed to update their software after MONTHS of notice. They eventually acknowledge that they needed to update their app.

Only HP can resolve this. You have to pressure them for the fix.

salukitd
Collaborator | Level 8

Sure Dad!  Regarding "HP".  To quote from "The Princess Bride".  "HP...You keep saying that word.  I don't think it means what you think it means."

My real question is, What exactly do I tell WD - Western Digital...again, WD (Not HP)?!  What do they need to fix.  I've contacted Dropbox support and they responded much like you did..not much *real* help.

Thanks.

wolframgothe
Explorer | Level 4

Same here.
Just bought a 2x4TB WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra. 

Can't (fully) connect to DropBox. But this was the whole point of having a NAS in the first place, to have local synced copy of my Dropbox-data...

cdigant
New member | Level 2

I am facing similar issue. 

I have WD Ex2 Ultra and configured Dropbox app to sync files.

Ofcourse, Syncing is slow. But issue is, When I create file or folder on DROPBOX, does not reflect to my NAS!!

wolframgothe
Explorer | Level 4

Don't waste your time, it doesn't work because WDs file system doesn't support DB functions. That's vapour ware.
Buy a used small pc (I have an old MacMini for € 150,-) and hook up a cheap (or expensive) external hard disk, install DB and point the DB to it. That can run with very little energy in the background and you could easily take the hard disk and hook it to another computer.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

wolframgothe Explorer | Level 4
    erichologist Explorer | Level 4
    cdigant New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?