cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I haven't signed in for a few months, but now there's no files in my account. What happened?

I haven't signed in for a few months, but now there's no files in my account. What happened?

Explorer | Level 3

It’s been a couple of months since I have logged in but when I log in now, there are no files in my drop box. I have many, many important files in there. Where did they go?
Thanks,
Scott

7 Replies 7

Re: Missing files

Dropboxer

Hello there @Scottpower22, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Is it possible that you may have signed into/created another account by mistake?

If you check your Events page here, do you see any activity reported? It will show the last 6 months of actions taken in the account here.

Also, is your account completely empty, or do you have a few files or empty folders in your account perhaps?

Let me know and we can take it from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: I haven't signed in for a few months, but now there's no files in my account. What happened?

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Daphne. There’s no activity, it’s like it’s a new account but this is the one I’ve added files to. I have a second one using [email removed as per Community Guidelines] but that is more for work. I’m so confused how this happened.

Re: I haven't signed in for a few months, but now there's no files in my account. What happened?

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @Scottpower22!

Could it be that you added the files to your other account by mistake?

Can you try signing into your other account and seeing if the files you're looking for are there?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
No they are not there. I had upwards of maybe 50-75 files. Is there any way to find out what happened or if there is another account in my name that is not showing for me? Thanks so much.

Dropboxer

Hey @Scottpower22, thanks for checking in with us, and sorry to hear about your frustration. 

Could you have a look at your events page, which has information on changes that occurred to content in your account?

Keep us posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil.
Thanks for trying to help with this. I created this account with my [personal information removed as per Community Guidelines] a few months ago. I added dozens of files on several occasions. I have another account with my [personal information removed as per Community Guidelines] email but that is not the one I’m missing files from. It’s really important for me to find these files that I added to Dropbox. Is there a way you can tell me if I mistakenly created a third account? How can I find out? Thanks.

Dropboxer

If you upgraded another account, you'd be able to find out from our credit card charge lookup tool

If you didn't though, could you have a look at any other email address's inbox for any Dropbox notification? 

Let me know what you find, @Scottpower22!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?