cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Selective sync-conflicts

I keep getting selective sync conflicts by Dropbox?

kelos-01
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have a major issue with sync conflicts at the moment, which i'm trying to resolve. Although what I find happening is that files are being moved by drop box into my private folder.

I've tested this. I moved everything out of my private folder into the root "dropbox" location after the sync took place it moved a whole bunch of folders back into my private folder with "selective Sync Conflict" in the name.

Why is it moving my files folders back into the private folder?

PS I did this:

To remove the "Selective sync conflict" folder

1. Move any files you need from the "Selective Sync conflict" folder to the original folder.
  2. Delete the conflicted folder.

https://help.dropbox.com/syncing-uploads/select-files-to-sync

But as I explained it moves it back into the private folder.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Okay, I will try.

In using Selective Sync, (as an example) you selected Folder B and Folder D.  Once you selected those folders in the Selective Sync Settings, Those folders will disappear off your Dropbox folder.  It will be in the cloud only.

Let's say you had the same files that were in Folder B and D somewhere backed up (outside of Dropbox folder) and place them inside the Dropbox folder.  It will create conflicted copies.  That is because it's supposed to be 'off' your HD (off from your Dropbox folder)

Now, this is the way I understood from your Post.  Its possible and not inconceivable that I may not have understood the situation.

But does this sound what happened?

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

26 Replies 26

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Hello kelos..

thanks for reaching out to us. It seems to me you are having these conflicts mainly because you first selected certain folders/files to be selective synced. Another word folder is taken off your hard drive. Meanwhile you placed another set of same files back into main Dropbox folder, causing Desktop Client to recognize duplicates. 

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

kelos-01
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Thanks for the reply although I'm not quite sure I understand your explaination. Could you rephrase? 

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Okay, I will try.

In using Selective Sync, (as an example) you selected Folder B and Folder D.  Once you selected those folders in the Selective Sync Settings, Those folders will disappear off your Dropbox folder.  It will be in the cloud only.

Let's say you had the same files that were in Folder B and D somewhere backed up (outside of Dropbox folder) and place them inside the Dropbox folder.  It will create conflicted copies.  That is because it's supposed to be 'off' your HD (off from your Dropbox folder)

Now, this is the way I understood from your Post.  Its possible and not inconceivable that I may not have understood the situation.

But does this sound what happened?

kelos-01
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
yes this sounds quite possible although I don't understand why it moves the files to the private folder though.

but thank you

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Can you elaborate what you mean by private folder?  is this your Dropbox folder?  if so, this shouldn't be happening unless you per chance shared that particular folder.  Were these folders that were selected by selective Sync shared?

kelos-01
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Private folder - So the person icon Capture.JPG 

To elaborate if there is a sync conflict it moved the files into this folder.

Also to solve this I just removed the local dropbox folder & redownloaded everything from the cloud. Seems to have worked.

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Thanks for updating us.  Glad it works out for you.  Have a good one.

karen007
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, I have the same issue. My problem is that DB upload all "selective synch conflict" folders to my cloud... my cloud now have duplicated folders. How do I resolve this?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @karen007,

In general, when you have selective sync conflicts, you can choose from the following options: 

• Leave them as they are and let one continue to have “selective sync conflict” included in its name. 
  • Change the name of the conflict folder.
  • Merge the files you need from both folders into one of the folders. 

You can find more info about selective sync conflicts and how to prevent that behavior from occuring again in this article

I understand that this may not be the ideal reply you were looking for, but I do hope it helps to some extent!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?